Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Intercooler Picture Search!

mentis

:) Hey guys,

:cool: I'm getting close to finding all the parts I need to get my IC put in. A few weeks ago I saw someone on the board with a particular setup that was a little unusual, and I'm trying to find that thread and the picture, but after hours of searching still no go.

:-\ The setup I saw incorporated the factory "IC" in the old subies, which is just that aluminum (?) pipe thing that says "turbo" on it. This person had cut off the smaller end of it and welded a piece to it that then atteched to the IC. I am looking at doing something similiar because I think it would be the most cost effective way to install the particular IC that I have.

:confused: Any ideas where I can find that thread and pic?

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
Still haven't figured out the whole resizeing thing:banghead:
Okay, I realize I haven't checked this thread in eons. But I think this might be the picture I saw. I wish there was a bigger picture to this, because I can't tell anthing from this thumbnail... I'll probably have to PM you though after all this time :P.

Another interesting intercooler hookup.

remountedic.jpg

http://subaru.kacsh.com:16080/icinstall3.html

Ouch pulling out old pics of my setup and calling it "interesting"..

:grin:

I like to call it cheap engineering....still holding up just fine...but time for me to throw up some newer pics (with the recirc valve etc). The real one that was interesting was the first shot at me putting in the intercooler and having nothing work out..but then having to make something so I could drive it home, that piece of @#$& work looked like this:

icinstall1.jpg

Thank God I didn't leave like that for more than a short trip home that night, and a short trip back to the shop to fix it. Feel free to laugh, I know I did before closing my hood that night.

There's a few pics in the user gallery, some large.

But I am looking specifically for the picture which you posted above. Any idea where that came from??? Cause there are a lot of pictures in the gallery...and I'm not going to go through all of them.

Ouch pulling out old pics of my setup and calling it "interesting"..

:grin:

I like to call it cheap engineering....still holding up just fine...but time for me to throw up some newer pics (with the recirc valve etc). The real one that was interesting was the first shot at me putting in the intercooler and having nothing work out..but then having to make something so I could drive it home, that piece of @#$& work looked like this:

...picture...

Thank God I didn't leave like that for more than a short trip home that night, and a short trip back to the shop to fix it. Feel free to laugh, I know I did before closing my hood that night.

So how did you get all your part that color...? Did you spray paint everything...?

Super High Temp Engine Paint while I was building the JDM engine. some people like it, others don't. I personally like it, it's actually a Cast Iron color and looks real good in person.

On the other note, think the picture you are looking for is this one:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showphoto.php?photo=3179&sort=1&cat=500&page=3

you can read/see some of the build of my RX at http://subaru.kacsh.com/ but I haven't updated it in forever, several things have been changed or added to the car, and I'm lazy so haven't updated it.

I think the paint looks pretty good actually :).

Oh and thank you, those are indeed the pictures I was looking for.

Now I just have to figure out how to do my setup. Since I no longer have a garage and no access to power tools (except for my dremel and drill) I'll have to be more creative. Might have to take something to a machine shop for welding...

Im just wondering, has anyone ever thought of using the air con to intercool???I have 2 theories,.

1. use the air con condensor directly in the intake system

2. use the air con to cool water to use in a air/water intercooler

I must do a lot of daydreaming:rolleyes:

just remember the aircon sucks a sackfull of power so while i think it would work to cool the intake air i think you would end up with no more overall power due to the the power required to run the aircon,than if you weren't intercooled at all

Compressing the intake charge takes tens-of-sackloads of power, yet we accept that penalty. The A/C takes just a few HP/KWhr. Yes, the use of A/C intercooling has been discussed before.

My personal take is that using A/C on its own is inefficient, using "highly refined" cooling power to remove bulk heat. I would use something (like air-to-air) to remove the bulk of the heat, and then use an A/C-enhanced air-to-water to lower the temp to ambient or even below.

use something (like air-to-air) to remove the bulk of the heat, and then use an A/C-enhanced air-to-water to lower the temp to ambient or even below.

That was along the ideas that i was thinking.

What if you took the aircon part of the vent system (the evaporator/heat exchanger thingy) and used it (it would have to be sealed to take boost) and use it after an air/air intercooler.

That would give you chilled air that is less likely to detonation, i assume

Gannon

pffftttt :)

when i feel really concerned about it i just grab some handy dandy dry ice from work and place it on my i/c about 10-20 min before i go somewhere ..

can we say 60f degree's and below under full boost ?? woot!

lowest i let it get <according to the laptop> was about 27f before i started driving it granted the intercooler looked like big chunk of vanila ice cream.. but hey .. it works :)

its not for everyday use.. unless you can get dry ice for free like i can

but if you plan on racing or something at the strip then i would just pre chill the ic down

ICs are heat exchangers, and in that capacity they are limited. Anything that you do to lower the temp of the IC's mass does little after a few seconds. (I guess that I could figure out the approximate BTU/calorie load in 100+Cdegree air at 200CFM+...)

My point is that there is a LOT of heat energy that needs removing, and precooled a/a intercooler won't last long, and A/C evaporator as the IC will be unable to keep up with the thermal load. If you used the A/C to precool a reservoir of water, then it could possibly last through longer episodes of boost.

.02 USD

soo.. what if i ice my intercooelr down and prove you wrong on that?? since i have actualy iced it down and left dry ice on it and drove around town for about 30 min or so of boost and non boost conditions.. with the temp staying right around 60-70 deg f? at 7-8 psi ?

actually .

i can datalog my frozen ic for you :)

with the laptop

:)

But I am looking specifically for the picture which you posted above. Any idea where that came from??? Cause there are a lot of pictures in the gallery...and I'm not going to go through all of them.

I'd poat a link but it takes me time to figure it out and I'm at work, if you go to the user gallery and click on V and select my username you'll se my photo's there's only about 30 somethin pics some are better than the one posted.

...since i have actualy iced it down and left dry ice on it...

"The Secret", revealed! :lol:

The thermal mass of the aluminum IC is negligable (kind of what makes a good heat exchanger). That lump of dry ice, however, could cool a LOT of air... at least the air that made its way around it!

no air made it around..

ice was as big as the intercooelr opening

but with carbon dioxide vapor being heavier than air the nice and chilly co2 vapor/ water condensation is allowed to go thru the intercooler core

i mean.. how effective could minus one o nice f cooling be?

btw my number one key is broke

also i think we have hijacked this thread accidently ... oops