Ultimate Subaru Message Board

XT-6 5 bolt hubs on EA81?

you would need the doj from a 3at turbo axle to fit the 23 spline tranny. that or you will need a full time or turbo MT. you would have to relocate the lower control arm mount to use ea82 front suspensions, and xt hubs and knuckles. the ea82 mod will allow use of the stock xt6 or legacy axle

you could keep the existing suspension and modify the tierod and ball joint holes, but you will have to get a custom made axle

here are some search results pertaining to the ea82 suspension conversion:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=17419&highlight=lower+control

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=17419&highlight=ea82+conversion

i meant xt6

you relocate the ea81 lower control arm mount back one width, make the mount to the rear of the original. the ea82 lower control arm has a different curve and is longer, so now you will be able to use the xt6 axle which is longer than the ea81. the stock radius rods will fit.

if you have the power steering you can swap the inner tie rods to ea82, then use the ea82 or xt6 tie rod ends.

actuelly, you can use the xt6 lower control arm for this mod, or you will have o drill out the ea82 ball joint hole

use xt6 or legacy struts with the ea81 astrut cap, you will have to make the strut shaft hole larger in the ea81 strut cap.

on the rear the xt6 caliper assembly will boly right up, that or you can mount the xt6 whole trailing arm if you make the ea81 mount holes bigger for the ea82's bolt.

i meant xt6

you relocate the ea81 lower control arm mount back one width, make the mount to the rear of the original. the ea82 lower control arm has a different curve and is longer, so now you will be able to use the xt6 axle which is longer than the ea81. the stock radius rods will fit.

if you have the power steering you can swap the inner tie rods to ea82, then use the ea82 or xt6 tie rod ends.

actuelly, you can use the xt6 lower control arm for this mod, or you will have o drill out the ea82 ball joint hole

use xt6 or legacy struts with the ea81 astrut cap, you will have to make the strut shaft hole larger in the ea81 strut cap.

on the rear the xt6 caliper assembly will boly right up, that or you can mount the xt6 whole trailing arm if you make the ea81 mount holes bigger for the ea82's bolt.

You seem to know the prosses well:) Are you saying that the XT6 and Legacy struts are that similer? So if you are converted for XT6 hubs you could go ahead and use Legacy hubs too?

on my application i used legacy 2wd struts with my xt6 setup in aN 87 TURBO WAGON, USING THE EA82 STRUT CAP.

when i had ea82 suspension in my 83 wagon, i used a modified ea81 strut cap, so if it fots on an ea82 strut it will fit on an xt or legacy strut

in fact, you can use the legacy hub and knuckle, but you wont have the ea style front parking brake, no parking brake at all

• 3 weeks later...

miles, your welding this stuff up, and then jumping stuff with it right? i want xt6 lugs on my hatch, but welding a controll arm support seems scary. got any pics anywhere of this stuff?

does it make the track wider? what about the rear? is that the easy part?

you seem to be the only one that has done this particular modification.