Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Temp Gauge reading on EA81??

What is the normal reading on everyones temp gauge(I know there aren't #'s) 1/4... 1/2?? This is my 2nd "84 GL Wagon.. the 1st car run at 1/4 this one runs at 1/2 and had give heating trouble... replaced radiator and all is well but temp gauge is still at 1/2.. is this normal or are factory gauges just junk??? Thanks all!

Mine runs about 1/2 with the Subaru T-stat (190). After I put a REAL guage in, she runs about 210 in stop and go traffic and the efans running. Out on the hiway doing up to 60, both fans are off and reading about 205. Flat out driving, around 210-215. Granted, this is an EA82, But it gives ya an idea. :)

before i changed out the original radiator with about 265k km on it was reading about 1/2 and a bit above where driving normally. i got a new generic rad and a lower tstat and it norm reads 1/4-1/3 but closer to a 1/2 when in traffic. this is in a pretty hot state of australia, 35c plus in summer is not uncommon thats 95F i think. But those readings aint from a really hot day its still spring over here and this is its first summer but its heaps better than old one so "she'll be right".

the 84 brat runs at the half mark all the time, no matter what, if it gets a little above, the fan kicks on and back down to the half mark it goes. it has a new radiator and 180 t-stat. The 84 coup after I fixed it, runs between 205 and 180... depending on stop and go or driving steady. the 84 t-coup has a manual temp gauge.