Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Opinions on rear discs?

Hi, I just picked up an '89 RX rear end at the jy.

I was gonna put the rear discs on my '88 hatch but I'm having second thoughts.

I don't really think current my stopping power is that terrible, but I'm usually below 40mph around town and only go 55-60 on the highway. Even slower on the trail.

My main concern is the fact that drum brakes are relatively sealed and I do a lot of driving in the mud.

Are the plain ol rear drums a more reliable choice if you do a lot of mudding or should this not even be a consideration?

any thoughts on this subject would be appreciated, I just figured I'de throw this one out there before I took the plunge and did the new setup.

also, the new rear discs seem kinda skinny compared to the fronts, but I suppose that's normal...

I have a 4" lift w/ 29" super swamper tsls btw

From what i've picked up and had experiences with, drums tend to get mud inside them and gum up the spings,shoes and internals of drums. That happened on my 89 GL Wagon a couple times. My knew 87 wagon has discs and they are pretty selfcleaning. Discs lose a little stopping power in the mud, but not nearing as much that is lost by having gummed up drums. And all you have to do to clean them is take a hose to them. Discs all the way. That's just my 2 cents.

Hi, I just picked up an '89 RX rear end at the jy.

I was gonna put the rear discs on my '88 hatch but I'm having second thoughts.

I don't really think current my stopping power is that terrible, but I'm usually below 40mph around town and only go 55-60 on the highway. Even slower on the trail.

My main concern is the fact that drum brakes are relatively sealed and I do a lot of driving in the mud.

Are the plain ol rear drums a more reliable choice if you do a lot of mudding or should this not even be a consideration?

any thoughts on this subject would be appreciated, I just figured I'de throw this one out there before I took the plunge and did the new setup.

also, the new rear discs seem kinda skinny compared to the fronts, but I suppose that's normal...

I have a 4" lift w/ 29" super swamper tsls btw

I say get the discs, I agree that its nice that you can hose them off, but my reasoning behind doing it on my lifted brat is that its stopping power wasnt that great stock... throw some 28" tires on there and its downright unsafe... the rear discs kinda make up for the added rotating mass you have to stop.

I have an 87 and an 86 GL... just moving them around my parking lot I can feel a huge difference.

Ive done the rear disk conversion on 3 subarus. 1 of them is my Lifted Wagon which I go mudding with all the time. I find that the rear disk's get in no more trouble than the front disk's. I dont think it is much to worry about, the additional stopping power is worth it. Its also one of the easiest mod's you can do.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/article.php?a=5

-Brian

Im with the rest of these guys, my current brat has them. The front vented DISC brakes were a PITA to get the mud out of after getting stuck on an infamous mud road but the rears were just a matter of pressure washing. Its nice being able to visually inspect your brakes without even taking the wheels off (I run 8 spoke alloys).

No question about it; go for the rear discs! It's an easy swap and the benefits are well worth the effort.

Once water and gunk does get up into a drum the brake fade is far worse than discs. They arent as 'sealed' as you would like to think once you have them submerged in muck.