Ultimate Subaru Message Board

air shocks for Brat 93

Hi all,

good to be back :)

My 1993 brat (2wd) need new air shocks - both front and rear

I dont wanna use the original crap (and I am sorry, but it IS crap).

on the other hand - I am not planning on wasting 1000$ on a set.

Can someone please recommend a good online store I can buy decent ones?

are those on Ebay will fit mine? are they any good?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7929471471&category=33590

many thanks guys

Well, that looks like a Gen 1 BRAT, and you have a rare non-USA market BRAT if it is truely a 1993 model year. I can't remember when they stopped producing BRATs for the USA, sometime in the late 1980's I believe. Also, I never knew of or saw a BRAT with air suspension, do you have any pictures that you can post???

Corky

Hi all,

good to be back :)

My 1993 brat (2wd) need new air shocks - both front and rear

I dont wanna use the original crap (and I am sorry, but it IS crap).

on the other hand - I am not planning on wasting 1000$ on a set.

Can someone please recommend a good online store I can buy decent ones?

are those on Ebay will fit mine? are they any good?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7929471471&category=33590

many thanks guys

Well, here in Israel we got the brat till 1994. it is a true 1993.

Thing is, i have no knowladge about the kind of the shock absorbers in my brat. I was just wondering if there is any aftermarket air suspensions ones - becasue I really dont wanna use the original...

thank you.

Well, that looks like a Gen 1 BRAT, and you have a rare non-USA market BRAT if it is truely a 1993 model year. I can't remember when they stopped producing BRATs for the USA, sometime in the late 1980's I believe. Also, I never knew of or saw a BRAT with air suspension, do you have any pictures that you can post???

Corky

unless the body significantly changed in the 90's on brats, I bet it's still running on ea81 body style suspention. And in my experience, Brats are the best handling ea81 body style subarus out of all of them, even though they have the same suspention. But, if your looking into air shocks for that age of a body style, you are probably looking into alot of custom work to be done. In the usa, I believe brats had the same body style from 81 and up, I think the last year was 87 for the brats, I haven't seen anything later than 87, in the usa. So you may want to look at 86 brat stuff to get in the right neighborhood for parts.

Monroe makes a fairly generic set of air shocks that could be modified relatively easily (screw plate adapted to the top eyelet). Just need to make sure you get shocks with correct travel for your application. Don't know anything about their overseas availability, though.

You don't mean air suspension, I don't think. The link you gave for ebay is just a traditional gas strut.

Air suspension, means a compressor, tank, airbag shocks, computer, ect., that were available on suby XTS, XT6s and wagons, perhaps more?

Anyway, those ebay ones should be fine.

Tapper