Ultimate Subaru Message Board

magnetic oil plugs

It's a good idea. Helicopter engines use them for good reasons :) I use old hard drive magnets from computers. They are VERY VERY strong. I usually put one on the oil filter. That way it traps the meta particlesl there and is gone when I replace the filter. You can also put them right on your oil pan. Just remember to remove the magnet when draining your oil so the metal particles actualy drains out of the pan.

Only draw back I see is that they will NOT catch aluminum particles. They will grab all steel particles however ;)

I run magnetic plugs in my Toyota (motor, tranny, transfer case, crawler box, front and rear diffs). I wouldn't have it any other way. They are also great for seeing if anything odd is going on. Another benefit on a Toyota is they have a socket head for a allen wrench instead of a large hex. Don't know what the Subie have since I don't have one yet.....

well the rear diff and the tranny's do have them and if there is a aftermarket company that can make one for the subie that would be cool for the engine and there is one that you can get that clamps onto the oil filter and then also there is a lil gadget for cutting open the oil filter when you pull it out so you can actualy look into the pleats and if you want to you can actualy use a coffee can and some solvent (like mineral spirits) and wash the pleats out and then if you want to take it to a metallurgy lab (a good place for to find one is a state university or just look in the yellow pages) and find out the concentration of certain metals and find out what the heck is going on with your engine

the reason why I know this is cause a majority of aircraft maintenance companies and aircraft owners do this to keep track of wear and tear on the engine in their plane

well actually it disrupts the magnetic chi of the engine oil causing excelerated wear.

ok no it dosent.

just stick a magnet on ther end of the filter. or pop in the drain plug with one on it. its fun to look at stuff that comes out... as long as its not your motor.

How and where does one attach the magnet to the oil filter?
Needs to be on the outer circumference so that the incoming particles get trapped on their way into the filter, since the center (*bottom too, I think) is where it returns. I'm not sure if it should be nearer the bottom or the top.

*I've checked into how the Purolator PureOne filter works and its bypass valve is on the bottom where large particles might collect, whereas others have that at the top. I still don't know if Subaru's OEM filter has the bottom bypass, if so I don't like that. I've thought of getting a Mobil1 filter which has the top bypass valve but I can't seem to locate a part number for it yet.

Needs to be on the outer circumference so that the incoming particles get trapped on their way into the filter, since the center (*bottom too, I think) is where it returns. I'm not sure if it should be nearer the bottom or the top.

*I've checked into how the Purolator PureOne filter works and its bypass valve is on the bottom where large particles might collect, whereas others have that at the top. I still don't know if Subaru's OEM filter has the bottom bypass, if so I don't like that. I've thought of getting a Mobil1 filter which has the top bypass valve but I can't seem to locate a part number for it yet.

since the filter is mounted side ways I dont think the "bottom" of the filter is really the bottom.

filter is mounted side ways

Sorry, I shouldn't have presumed anything about all Subaru's. I hadn't thought any of them were on their side, just figured most engines were similar to mine. It mounts up/down not sideways.

The magnet on the filter does sound like a great idea. However, isn't the filter media supposed to stop those particles? I replace my filter every 6k miles, along with the oil. Would anyone argue that the paper gets so clogged in that distance that the bypass valve opens and lets the particles circulate?

If the particles are small enough to get through the filter paper, then they are so small as to be nearly harmless anyway. Also, I doubt a magnet would be able to stop them.