Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I Need Radio Wiring Help!

I am trying to install a pioneer deck into my 1984 brat. My problem is I have four wires that come from the origional harness;

Black(Ground)

Blue(12vdc)

Red w/green stripe(Dont know)

Red w/blue stripe(Dont know)

On my Pioneer deck I have 3 wires;

Red(accessories)

yellow(12vdc)

Black(ground)

I dont know which wires I need to hook up to give the deck constant power without draining the battery. Also normally (when I had my radio hooked up to my old car) I could turn the car off and back ON again and the radio would still be on the same track on a CD, In the brat it wont.

Can anybody help me please and give me their advice, I could really use some right about now. Thank everyone.

Scott Schinsky

1984 Subaru Brat EA81 soon to be ER27TT

basicaly the olny wires to use from stock harness is switch + and ground

you will have to run a constant from the battery make sure you put a fuse in somewhere.

and run all new speaker wire cuz subaru used a shaared ground for all the speakes and it sounds like c#$p if you try to use stock wiring

a test lamp is invaluable for installing sterios. There should also be a wire that gives 12volts when your key is in the start postion this is the wire that causes your music to stop when u start up your engine so the starer is the only thinng draining power.

here's a second on the new wiring idea. i had a fairly primative cd deck in my brat, the wiring was so shoddy when i first put her in there, i'd take my brat somewhere fun (terrain) and end up with my radio presets gone. And the speaker wiring is HORRIBLE. get yourself some RCA wire (or otherwise, really most will work) and hopefully some aftermarket speakers and you will be much happier.

of course, if you want a basis of comparison first, wire everyting stock and wait till you go crazy.

Yeah, its really better to just run all new speaker wire. You'll also have to run a wire direct from the battery as someone said in order to keep your presets. I have mine hooked up to the factory harness right now; it sounds like crap and I lose all my presets when I turn the ignition off for more than a minute or so. I really only listen to morning shows though, other than that I can't take all the commercials so the radio is off most of the time.

You should be able to get power from the clock wire all the time. No need to go to the battery.

Klaus

I am trying to install a pioneer deck into my 1984 brat. My problem is I have four wires that come from the origional harness;

Black(Ground)

Blue(12vdc)

Red w/green stripe(Dont know)

Red w/blue stripe(Dont know)

On my Pioneer deck I have 3 wires;

Red(accessories)

yellow(12vdc)

Black(ground)

I dont know which wires I need to hook up to give the deck constant power without draining the battery. Also normally (when I had my radio hooked up to my old car) I could turn the car off and back ON again and the radio would still be on the same track on a CD, In the brat it wont.

Can anybody help me please and give me their advice, I could really use some right about now. Thank everyone.

Scott Schinsky

1984 Subaru Brat EA81 soon to be ER27TT

You should be able to tap power off one of the constant power wires underneath the dashboard. No need to go from the battery unless you're running a big Kauna of a headunit like a new Alpine, higher-end Eclipse, or a big Kenwood. Your Pioneer will be just fine on tapped power. Hook that wire to the yellow, the switched 12v goes to the red, and ground out the black wire, whether through the stock wiring or the chassis. As mentioned, you'll definately want to run new speaker wiring, since early Subarus are common-ground, which tends to piss off and eventually destroy floating-ground decks.