Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Clutch Problem?

working on a 84 GL wagon 4 speed D/R wagon. Clutch was shot. Installed the new clutch how the haynes manual said. remounted the engine, and now when I start it, I'm getting a squealing noise from the bellhousing. I've heard soob clutches always slip for a little bit when they are new, but this doesnt seem right. The old clutch wore down to the rivets on the pressure plate side, so I bought the whole clutch kit. I cleaned the flywheel with brake cleaner, and checked out the surface. It looked good, no grooves or anything. The car drives forward and reverse just fine.

So my question is, what is making that noise? I've talked to snowman and a few othe rmechanics I know, and the conclusion is to just drive it and see what happpens... Anyone else have any ideas

well you guys will never guess what the problem was....

That damn plate that bolts on to the bottom of the bellhousing on the motor? The little sheet metal 2 inch by 8 inch plate.. I guess when I put the motor back in the last time I bent it up and it was catching on the flywheel. I didnt realize it would make such a horrible noise.. but anyways the car is fixed, the owner came and picked it up.

Thanks for the help though guys.