Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Should I buy?? How much?

This has probably been asked over and over so bear with me.

Got a line on a running '87 D/R 5 speed wagon with EA82 SPFI (200K) with Bad interior and Hub.... Plus a wrecked parts car (same year) with good interior and a donor hub but no engine or tranny. How much should I pay for them?

Pictures attached......

Oh as for Mods planned I'm thinking 3-4" of lift (I will design and fab that) with 30X9.50 BFG MT about 40% tread (28.5" in Diameter). Plus I'm thinking of bobbing the rear 9-12".

There are lots of these cars out here in Oregon for sale. For a similar make and year "running" they seem to be running 500-1000 bucks. I guess it depends upon how much you want to work on it. You could easily need clutch, oil pump, timing belts ect. and that stuff could add up quick. I probably wouldn't jump on it unless it were really cheep. $200 tops for both.

As little as possible; if you have $200 laying around doing nothing and lots of time (and a place) to work on it, realize that the ONE car you get out of it will only be worth about $1000 IF you find a buyer. On the other hand, it could be a daily driver for you for years to come. Just figure how much cost would be involved in the additional parts you need to buy and you'll know whether you want to spend your time and labor (which, in theory, are free).

......lots of time (and a place) to work on it, realize that the ONE car you get out of it will only be worth about $1000 IF you find a buyer. ....

I would be buying it to build it, and to use it. Not to resell it.....

what do you mean by hub? is it bad wheel bearings in the front? or is it demolished which I would rather doubt or are you talking about the hub that attaches to the brake rotor?

I don't exactly know..... Thats just what the current owner said. But I was told the parts car would have all the parts I need to repair that 'hub'.... I'm confident I can fix what ever I find pretty easily.....

You guys got to remember that I don't currently own or for that fact, have ever owned a Subaru. So I'm going into this pretty GREEN. But I got lots of experience under my belt when it comes to Mechanicing, Custom Fab Work and 4Wheeling with my Current Toyota and a Jeep before that. So I'm just looking for a starter vehicle. Which for me I've desided is EA82 SPFI, D/R 5 speed which is what this is. Seems kind a odd that you guys would pay so little for something like this when the engine and tranny alone are worth more than that?

What has been done to the motor recently with 200,000 miles on it? While subs do last really well, 200k can be pretty old if someone didn't take proper care of it. Lots of people drive them to this point, without much work done to them, then unload them because they don't want to do, or pay for the work to make them reliable again. At this point, many will sell these cars for 200-400 dollars. Its a great motor to work on, but stuff can add up fast.

What has been done to the motor recently with 200,000 miles on it? While subs do last really well, 200k can be pretty old if someone didn't take proper care of it. Lots of people drive them to this point, without much work done to them, then unload them because they don't want to do, or pay for the work to make them reliable again. At this point, many will sell these cars for 200-400 dollars. Its a great motor to work on, but stuff can add up fast.

I was told the motor was gone thru around 100K. and since that time its has a pretty good service records since the owner didn't do any of there own work.

Unless they can prove otherwise, as I do with all my projects, plan on replacing the clutch, all engine seals (hell maybe even the head gaskets just to be safe)

Its alot of work to swap all that junk over (I can do an interior pretty quick now, but the first time it takes awhile)

I would say $400 if the car will run and drive, if they cant prove it will $300

Ask me about what parts EA82's need if you want. I have rebuilt many of them (1 turbo, 2 SPFI, 2 carbed) and done maintanance on others.

I am doing a carbed one that I got from Edrach this weekend in fact.