Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Major Breakthrough! (T-coup)

Well, I think it's an electrical problem, Because when I start up the car, it runs for a few seconds cold right? then something goes click, the idle goes up to around 1800rpms, and it's running rich for warm up mode right? I think it gets stuck in that mode, So I'm seeing if I can figure out if it's a bad relay, or of the ecu is just messed up.... What do ya all think about that?

in all the EA series cars. even turbo, there should only be one temp sensor, in the thermostat housing.. on ea81, I think it is used for both the gauge and the ECU sensor for "choke" control... thats what it is used for on EJ engines- except on EJ there are 2 different sensors, one for the dash guage, and one for the ECU, but they are sitting right next to eachother on the manifold!

The temp sending unit on a EA81T is on the gooseneck below the T-Stat, and it only has one wire from it. This goes to the gauge. There is a seperate sensor on top of the T-Stat that might be sending readings to the ECU. If the person that was selling the manuals a yearago had sent me the elec manual I bought from him, I would be able to tell you more about it :rolleyes:

The sensor for the guage, (if it's a digi), is in the heater hose, you will see a metal connector with wires coming out of it. Thats not gonna be the problem. The one for the computer is in the T-stat housing, thats your ECT (engine coolant temp) sensor. The ecu uses that one for warm up idle and whot not. Just curious, do you warm your car up in the morning with the defrost on? Sounds like you are. When the climate control is in defrost mode it will cycle the A/c system to dry out the air. When the ECU see's this signal it bumps up the idle to account for the load of the A/c pump. Now if you don't have the A/c system working, then it won't shut down from this. To see if this might be the problem then just switch the controls to heat, or just turn the blower off completely, if it drops back down to normal idle, thats your prob.

I was saying I think the sender wire goes to the ecu and the dash gauge... But I could be wrong. the other electrical deal on top of the thermostat is some sort of vacume control system for the turbo. I read it up in a subaru book. It's hard for vacume devices to work when turboing. Uhhh, theres the anologue sensor in the heater core hose, no other spot for any other sensor. and the anologue sensor is the custom gauge one. Just to point out what I Do know about the car.

As far as A/C goes. No, I run it with the heat only when it's warming up, if even that. Usallaly I keep the blower off until it warms up, but it's always in the heat position unless I need the defrost. I know the defrost runs the a/c. that little ect is not there. it's removed. If thats what it is. The turbo had to have coolant lines come from someware, it's a very clever design. So I'm looking at putting it in a coolant line someware else like in the heater-core line... and just running the wire.