Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Im in a WORLD OF HURT... My 88 XT died

Hello all, Havent done much here lately but I figure Ill throw this out there and perhaps some of the "Subi nuts" could point me in the right direction.. My 88 XT blew a head gasket and Im not sure if it just the gasket and not the head. Im in Ottawa Canada so shipping from ANYWHERE for even a junkyard engine will be a pain. HAHA

Anyway, I have found a few F-4 1.8L in Canada but they have the following

issues

I found a few turbos... Wont work since mine isnt and the computer will freak

I found a few single point injections and I have MPI. Same computer issue as #1

What would you all recommend.... I know one is call a junk yard to come get it... The engine has over 200K on it and has other problems Id like to get rid of ie. Cold start issues, leaks oil..ect.

My mechanic said it would be about 400 USD to swap out engines. I found the above ones for about 400 US but they dont work... Is there any EASY way to make them work or am I just dreaming...

If anyone has or knows of a late 80's F-4 1.8 engine MPI NON-turbo. Pls let me know... or should I just cut bait?? Cheers Chris

the mpfi stuff wont bolt up to spfi stuff.

the turbo motors would work, your computer is the same as turbo computer, the xmember would have to go in the car with the engine tho, to make room for the turbo exhaust.

or get one of the spfi blocks, and put your heads on it, higher compression =]

Hey guys, Thanks for the info. The down side is I dont think my "mom and pop" place will do the head swap. I dont know if the head is warped or cracked. I think Ill invest some $$ to find out. If its just the gasket then OK if not I may have to take a chance and try the SFI route...

Any other suggestions...

If I dont come up with something soon I may be able to talk the wife in to letting me get the SVX I want.... UUUMMMM???

Thanks Chris

hey, the only thing different between the turbo and tour mpfi long block is the compression.

the heads are the same but the turbo heads have an oil passage, if you use a turbo head just plug the oil passage with a fitting. this would be the turbo side head. the other head are the same between mpfi and turbo, dual ports

you may not need the head, if you suspect a cracked head, ignore the cracks between the valves, those are normal. what to look out for in a cracked head is a crack in the exhaustt port. a cracked head will leak coolant out the exhaust port, but still have good compression the car would run fine untill enough coolant leaks out to get hot

maybe some hints on the symptoms of this car and we can elp ya out better;) If it is a crack in the exhaust port like Miles talks about,it will run fine like he said but it will also puf white smoke out of the exhaust and the radiator will also smell of exhaust when the cap is removed and running. If its a blown head gasket, it will do the same but it will also make it run really rough I believe. If its blown into the oil passage, it will also run fine but you'll have a nice batch of chocolate milk in your crankcase.

Hey guys, Im not really sure what else to say about it. I will say that I was driving to work and it was cold so running a little rough. I looked in my rear view and freaked. I was putting out so much smoke that I couldnt see the car behind me. But the car ran fine. I got it home got out and I could smell the antifreeze in the exhaust. I turned it off and tried about an hour later to run it and LOCKED UP. Pulled the plug and all I saw was green in the cylinder.

I paid 900 for it and over the last 3 years put 5-600 in it to keep it running but the more I think about it I may have to cut bait and let it go.... Thats sucks cause I really like it but it has other issues too

Since Im sure I wont get squat for it at a junk yard what high end (and hopefully small) parts should I pull to get something out of it??

Intakes, seats, air box, alternator, starter????

Maybe Ill get that SVX afterall???? HAHA

Sorry to hear that Disbo.

It all depends on how much you love the car. I personally would probably throw in the towel if it's over 200k, but that's your call, not mine. XT's are very lovable cars, I know :) so I understand why you want to keep it.

If you do want to part it out, definitely post it over on the XT6 board, I'm sure you'll find buyers for parts, myself possibly included.

Thanks SUBYLUVR. But I suppose I was looking for more specific parts that a higher end. It would be fine if I had a place to keep this dead car but I dont. Further, I dont think folks will drive to Ottawa to come get it or pay the shipping for a few seats, tranny ect...

What would I put on the XT-6 site? Come get doner car... trade for case of beer?? I have a clean title on it and current plates... Maybe Ill get some beer out of it???

Hello all, Havent done much here lately but I figure Ill throw this out there and perhaps some of the "Subi nuts" could point me in the right direction.. My 88 XT blew a head gasket and Im not sure if it just the gasket and not the head. Im in Ottawa Canada so shipping from ANYWHERE for even a junkyard engine will be a pain.

Hello: I'm in Stittsville -- just outside Ottawa.

There's a complete XT in a junkyard just down the road from me. These folks aren't computerized, so don't tie into any other junkyards or used parts sources.

PM me for more information.

I will buy the ECM and knock sensor if you are willing to sell parts. I have an 88XT engine in my 89 GL-10 and the ECM (computer) has gone out. I was supposed to leave 2 weeks ago for Costa Rica from California. I am having trouble locating the appropiate ECM (Part number: 22611 AA630). If your are intrested, PM or e-mail me, I am sure we can come up with a deal.

• 1 year later...

Hi guys, I have 5 weeks left here in Canada (yes the snow is gone) and the tranny/clutch on this thing is really driving me nuts.

about a month ago I got it in and pushed the clutch down to start it and I heard a snap/pop noise and the pedal dropped about 1-2inches. It has only got worse from there.

It will not go in to gear easily or some times not all. I thought I had too much slack in the clutch cable so I tighten it up. I worked better for a few days but now the clutch pedal is half way to the floor in comparison to the brake pedal and it still doesn work very well

If you have it in gear and clutch to the floor it is still engaged and the car will stall out.

If in neutral, it is Very hard to go to first, second is a pain but does go.

Could this be advance stages of a worn throwout bearing? Clutch cable?

What Im looking for is a temp fix to last 5 weeks. The rust is so bad on it that unfortuanatly it has to go to the junk yard,

ANYONE WANT SMALL PARTS FOR A SONG??

Any help would appreciated since I dont want to ride the bus to get to work!! HAHA

Thanks Chris

sounds like the clutch fork must have broken. I had this happen to me on a '87 GL turbowagon. Clutch fork snapped where the pivot is because it wasn't lubed properly. It got worse and worse until I couldn't drive it with a clutch. I had to rpm match with the tranny and stuff like that. Pain in the butt if you ask me...

Hi, If you mean the clutch fork in the tranny or the fork that hold the cable from the pedal? What did you end up doing? Im pretty much out of ideas?

Nothing temperary can be done with out pulling the tranny?

thanks Chris

Its too bad it has some rust in the frame.. I dont have the time/patience to mess with it.. Im having a guy build me a 5 speed SVX.. Im very pumped about it..

$100 from the junk yard man or as they like to say.. Auto dismantlers.. HAHA