Ultimate Subaru Message Board

IT'S DONE! Swapped EJ22 for EJ25 in '97 Outback

If the 2000+ 2.2L intakes are the same as the 2.5L, perhaps I'm better off getting a 2000 or 2001 2.2L and using that block, then swap on the 2.5L intake from the Forester? There is one of those for sale here, and I could put this 2.2L into another car, so no loss for me. Thoughts?

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the 2000+ 2.2L intakes are the same as the 2.5L, perhaps I'm better off getting a 2000 or 2001 2.2L and using that block, then swap on the 2.5L intake from the Forester? There is one of those for sale here, and I could put this 2.2L into another car, so no loss for me. Thoughts?

We need someone to confirm it, cuz im not 100% positive on this. I seen somewhere(try to read all this thread carefully, it might be even here). Also there is some threads about 2.2 swap in the forester, do some research and you will find alot info on it.

• 1 month later...

Follow up to my questions: I ended up installing a 2001 EJ22 2.2L block into the 2000 Forester, used the original 2.5L intake, cam and crank pulleys / gears. Initally I didn't swap out the cam and crank gears, but the car wouldn't start. I disassembled and compared, and they are different so once I put the 2.5 cam and crank pulleys / gears on the 2.2 engine, it started right up. I also went thru the motor completely replacing every gasket except head gaskets, etc, to make sure everything would last for another 100k. Everything bolted up fine, the 2.5L intake bolted directly onto the 2.2L block, the car runs great, no issues. Thanks all for the helpful advice, much appreciated!

Edited by soobiedo

• 8 months later...

I found my 2.2 y pipe on car-part.com, paid $100 plus shipping from a company in CO. I think any car from 1996 and newer with the 2.2L single port exhaust will work. Here is a guy on CL that has been trying to sell one for a while, you could see if it's still available. He say's 2.2 y pipe, but I'd recommend you verify it is a single port first, ask for a picture, as he may not know the difference:

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/wsh/pts/1922163691.html

Where did you get the singles port Y-pipe? I can't seem to find one anywhere?

I have 6 still (I believe) all off 96 & 97 Legacy 2.2's(single port) and a few from 2.5's around (dual port).

I'm in 15613. I sell them for 50.00 plus (if they aren't picked up). Have then hanging in the rafters in the garage.

• 3 months later...

Yes, I am bringing this thread back from August. I have been reading through it and it has some good info. From what I have gathered, when doing a swap you have to keep the EGR intact. Why? That means my non EGR 1993 2.2 will not properly swap into a 1997 Outback with 2.5? I'd like to know because there is a car locally with a blown motor, and I have a 2.2 sitting out in the yard. Thanks!

when doing a swap you have to keep the EGR intact. Why? That means my non EGR 1993 2.2 will not properly swap into a 1997 Outback with 2.5? I'd like to know because there is a car locally with a blown motor, and I have a 2.2 sitting out in the yard. Thanks!

all the 96 - 99 ej25s came with EGR. so if you swap in an engine with out EGR you will have a CEL. in some locations a CEL will prevent you from passing a safety or emissions inspection.

in other locations it is no big deal, you just drive with a CEL .

you can however start with your 90 - 94 non-EGR engine and swap in an egr intake and driver side head. but that will cost something unless you have one sitting around.

all the 96 - 99 ej25s came with EGR. so if you swap in an engine with out EGR you will have a CEL. in some locations a CEL will prevent you from passing a safety or emissions inspection.

in other locations it is no big deal, you just drive with a CEL .

you can however start with your 90 - 94 non-EGR engine and swap in an egr intake and driver side head. but that will cost something unless you have one sitting around.

Ah alright thats what I figured, you don't actually need the EGR system but it will cause a CEL. Thanks! Time to get hands dirty:grin:

Can someone please explain which intake manifold and sensors need to be used with this swap. The 2.2 or the 2.5? or a combination of the two.

2.2 manifold with EGR if you don't want a CEL. 2.5 manifold will not fit the 2.2 heads. You can use a 2.5 EGR setup and drill/tap the head/manifold for the pipe but you will either have to order the pipe or make one since the 2.5 egr pipe will not be the right length.

GD