Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rebuilt Tranny? where to buy?

From everything I've read and been told, a used, low mileage tranny is a safer bet than a rebuilt any day. I followed the advice and got a used one. Look for a donor that met a premature demise... it was actually easy here in the rust zone... the frames got eaten before the serious mechanical parts failed. The donor I got mine from had only 69,000, about the same as my original that had a rusted-through frame and had to be retired:(

From everything I've read and been told, a used, low mileage tranny is a safer bet than a rebuilt any day. I followed the advice and got a used one. Look for a donor that met a premature demise... it was actually easy here in the rust zone... the frames got eaten before the serious mechanical parts failed. The donor I got mine from had only 69,000, about the same as my original that had a rusted-through frame and had to be retired:(

Where did you find a tranny in mass?? I am in upstate NY and wouldrive over there to get one???? I havent had much luck In CNY.....

Where did you find a tranny in mass?? I am in upstate NY and wouldrive over there to get one???? I havent had much luck In CNY.....

http://www.burlingtonautoparts.com

A-Burlington Used Auto Parts, Hazen Road, Shirley, Mass. a little over half way down the MassPike, about a 5 hr. drive for you. Nice people. There is also Borges, I forget where they are, but I seem to remember more on the South Shore of Mass. If you call Borges, he has the name of a place in Upstate NY, it's Doctor something, I called him and he referred me to A-Burlington for my Brat transmission. Kind of round about but successful in the end. Good luck!

i concur, you can generally pick up a few used transmissions for the cost of a rebuild (for an XT6 anyway). if you have space, grab an extra one when you see a good deal.

i do it myself, but if you don't a transmission shop should swap them out and replace the filter for you for 150-200 bucks. it's a very easy job with the right equipment.

250 for a used trans plus 250 for install = 500. i'd rather pay that twice (which isn't likely if you shop smart) than 3,000 for a quality rebuild. don't forget to drain and fill the diff fluid in the trans.

i installed a used one i traded parts for 50,000 miles ago.

http://www.burlingtonautoparts.com

A-Burlington Used Auto Parts, Hazen Road, Shirley, Mass. a little over half way down the MassPike, about a 5 hr. drive for you. Nice people. There is also Borges, I forget where they are, but I seem to remember more on the South Shore of Mass. If you call Borges, he has the name of a place in Upstate NY, it's Doctor something, I called him and he referred me to A-Burlington for my Brat transmission. Kind of round about but successful in the end. Good luck!

Thanks, BTW I can make it almost to NH border in 5, I have speed limit issues...I'll search for the doctor first then try down towrads your way..Thanks again.

Just purchased a USED 4w, 5sp, dual range for $350 & $150 shipping. Try out WWW.car-parts.com, they will connect you with all the Yards in USA/Canada.

A-Burlington is pretty cheap, I got my '78 - 4 sp with 69,000 mi. for $150. cash 'n' carry.

I found my seatbelts through http://www.car-parts.com

$50.00 for the pair included shipping from B&R Auto Wrecking http://www.autowrecking.net

Thanks, BTW I can make it almost to NH border in 5, I have speed limit issues...I'll search for the doctor first then try down towrads your way..Thanks again.

Whoa Skippy 5 hours? I assume the issue has to do with not obeying the speed limit? LOL!

Borges is in Dighton, MA 1-800-662-6150

SeaHag.....Your Belts Came from Out here on the West Coast......I Live 4 Blocks From My Local B&R Auto Wreckers......They Know me very well there...... :lol:

Good Luck on the tranny....John

Thanks!

I understand we are as far away from each other as possible without getting our feet wet.

• 2 weeks later...
Whoa Skippy 5 hours? I assume the issue has to do with not obeying the speed limit? LOL!

Borges is in Dighton, MA 1-800-662-6150

hahahhaha ya thats part of it..I got a tranny from everdrive, $500, one year unlimited mileage warranty...works great!

Everything functions, going to put my new struts on this weekend and I should be ready for our Syracuse winter of 120 inches+ of snow...got a remote starter, a block heater, and new snow tires....

PM

Put out a thread in the "Market Place" forum.

This board is really good on that sort of thing.

Members usually have such things on hand (in their stash) and other members are always volunteering to haul parts on their travels.

I got a spare for the price of gas to deliver it :lol:

Just a thought?

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer

01 Forester