Ultimate Subaru Message Board

drove an xt6 with no springs for 250 miles

i got a good deal on an xt6 that was a couple hundred miles away. no way i was passing it up, so i told the fellow board member to hang on to it for me, and id come get it.

it had air suspension, but now its shot. drove 250 miles on bump stops! my tail bone and rump roast hurt, my neck hurts, i think i might have messed up my inner ear because now i have an ear ache. the only reely bad thing it did to the car is put some very funny cupping/bunging paterns in the rear tires. i managed to catch air on the highway a few times at around 70 mph, i thought for sure my tires would have exploded on a few of them. the girl friend wussed out and decided to ride in the car with shocks for the ride home.

lost most of the exhaust, and quite a bit of rust on the way home. i got some pics to post of the most lowered xt6 ever. surprisingly tho, the front bumper, or the rear diff dont even scrape. looks real cool sittin still =]

no lsd =[

You are NUTS! :lol: I've read stories about some people who drove their XT6s that way and they HATE it. I can imagine how low it is since I've seen a few pics of peeps with their air suspension shot to hell. Good luck getting it all together.

BTW: I remember reading one post of someone who drove their XT6 like this in autoxs. Said the car cornered like it was on rails. I bet the suspension is the closest someone could feel like being on a old train.

tied as the most lowered XT6 ever since nearly every AWD XT6 on the road has been like that at some point. i've driven like that for extended periods, it is no fun and unsafe. it may handle well in autox...IF the track is smooth...any bumps and the car becomes highly unstable. when you hit a bump, it *bounces* and you have no weight, no traction and tires (front or rear or both) can easily slide out from under you.

someone destroyed their rear drive train (axles and diff) driving around like this, though i never had any problems like that. in college i was driving from atlanta to auburn, AL on a daily basis (100 miles one way) like this about a dozen times. the bridge joints were killers, brace yourself for those...

it wasnt as bad as i imagined, but if it was any worse, i wouldnt have been able to do it.

passed some honda kits, they looked at me like i was one of them :D

when you hit any bump, it does start bouncing, very bad. and i tried to launch it off the line, from a stop, and it would jump off the ground instead of taking off.

and actualy, its not that low. you must have some nice coilovers or something. i thik the air suspension has tall bump stops, because they know they will fail at some point, and woundt want the tires to hit the fenders at highway speeds.

oh and, four of the cv boots that i could see were freshly torn, and one rear is clicking, so its bad for that too.