Ultimate Subaru Message Board

load roar when slowing down

I have a 92 subaru loyale 99,000miles a/t owned for 4 months now. The problem is that you get the car going 55 to 65mph then when you start to to let your foot off the gas to slow down you get this roaring sound. sort of like your running over a rumble strip or a rough stretch of highway. If you go around a bend while slowing down you dont hear it. Or if you shake the wheel back in forth you will here it quit and then come back. Also if you put the car in neutral it quits. It seems to do it when it rains or when it is wet out. Checked breaks and rotors seem fine. You dont hear it when you accelerate either.:confused: Anyone

ever had this problem.

Thanks

djcracker

if you jack each front wheel up you should be able to tell which bearing is bad. try to make the wheel *wobble* with your hands, you should feel the bad bearing has some give or noise to it.

if you're not going to do this yourself, you could remove the hubs and give them to a machine shop along with a new set of bearings. that's probably the cheapest solution unless you have a decent mechanic. having a spare set of hubs makes it even easier. you could always buy a used hub as well, which are obviously not as reliable as new bearings. i've put 200,000 miles on 3 different sets of front and rear bearings on XT6's and have never had them fail.

Wouldn't have thought the wheel bearing is at fault. Although turning corners will change/remove wheel bearing noise, i have never found that accelerating will remove the noise completely. I would be thinking more along the line of axles and gearbox. It could also be some really bad breaks..

Last AT Subaru I road in the tranny was loud... roared right in the middle of the cabin. Was especially loud when he left off and coasted. What I dont like is you say it goes away when you put it in neutral :-\

When you say let off the gas, that's before you hit the brakes right? If it was just your brakes you'd only hear noise when you were hitting the brake pedal.

Wheel bearing you would hear which side it was coming from. Does it sound like its coming definatly from one corner or more in the middle?

Is this a 4WD? Could be your carrier bearing cuasing noise. Too much slop in the drivetrain and when you let off binding a bit cuasing the carrier bearing to sound funny. Even in 2WD the driveshaft is still spining, just no power to it.

Just a few guesses! :)

THIS NOISE IS COMING FROM THE MIDDLE MAYBE THE LEFT HARD TO TELL

AND THIS IS A 2WD. THIS IS JUST WHEN I AM LETTING OFF GAS. WHEN I APPLY THE BRAKES IT STOPS OR PUT IN NEUTRAL. ALSO THIS CAR WAS DAMAGED IN THE BACK END. IT COASTED DOWN A HILL AND HIT A TELEPHONE POLE. PREVIOUS OWNER DID THIS. JACKED EACH SIDE UP AND WIGGLED THE WHEELS THE ARE TIGHT.:banghead:

Last AT Subaru I road in the tranny was loud... roared right in the middle of the cabin. Was especially loud when he left off and coasted. What I dont like is you say it goes away when you put it in neutral :-\

When you say let off the gas, that's before you hit the brakes right? If it was just your brakes you'd only hear noise when you were hitting the brake pedal.

Wheel bearing you would hear which side it was coming from. Does it sound like its coming definatly from one corner or more in the middle?

Is this a 4WD? Could be your carrier bearing cuasing noise. Too much slop in the drivetrain and when you let off binding a bit cuasing the carrier bearing to sound funny. Even in 2WD the driveshaft is still spining, just no power to it.

Just a few guesses! :)