Ultimate Subaru Message Board

carb?

hey if I were to go to a wrecking yard to find a two barrel carb for mt ea81 what cars would i be looking for

also what are the advantages of a 4in in the front and three in the back lift

instead of 3 and three

thaks shes almost ready for some serious bushin

the cars you'll need to look for depend on it yours is 4wd or 2wd since the carbs differ. Basically if its 4wd, make sure the car is 4wd, manual tranny, and depending on if you need a carb from a california model, make sure its from a california model. Thats basically it

On the lift question, the 3/3 lift will make the front end sit lower then the rear so thats why people go with a 4/3 lift, to level it all out and make it sit even all around.

well maybe i wasent clear enough i want to find a holly or a weber or what ever ican find that will work i want to know what makes and models of fords/chrystler or what ever works

thanks for the intel on the lift ''huh I knew that'' we all have are days

basically Ford Pintos came with a Holley 5200 on them. Not sure if ALL of them did but mine came off of one. I do know someone who got one from a Ford 2.3 liter in a Ranger. late '70s and early '80s have them I believe...

Cab:

How much retrofitting was involved with the Holley? Is the 5200 a knock-off of the Webber?

The Webs are kinda rich for my blood, and I'd like to find a cheaper and more common alternative

thanks, John

the Holley 5200 is exactly like you said. Its a Weber knock-off but it was still based on the ideas from Weber because Holley had Weber design it for them. I got mine from a swap meet for 15 bucks and it had been rebuilt by a carb shop! It takes the same adapter plate as a Weber depending on which motor you have (ie EA71's and EA81's are the same adapter whereas the EA82 is different). Plus the jetting kits for the Weber work for the Holley from what I can tell since I rejetted mine with Weber jets.

'70s and '80s Nissan trucks used a Hitachi carb that is larger than the EA82 one, but still bolts directly up to the EA82 carb intake manifold. I've never run one, but I did test fit one at a junkyard. This carb is a 30/34 where the EA82 carb is a 28/32 and the EA81 carb is a 26/30. The Nissan trucks have a 2.0L engine, so I bet the jetting is pretty close to correct. Also, since they're trucks they don't have as much emissions crap attached to them. No ECU!

It seems like maybe Isuzu trucks and SUVs from the same time period may have used these carbs too, but I can't remember right now.

----------------- EDIT --------------------

Oops, I was a little backwards. I'm pretty sure the 30/34 carb mentioned above was from an Isuzu, though some older Datsun/Nissan trucks used them too. Here's a list of larger Hitachi carbs that I just accumulated from various websites:

81-84 Isuzu Imark 1.8L DCH-340

81-82 Isuzu P'up 1.8L DCH-340

83-87 Isuzu P'up 1.9L DCH-340

85-90 Isuzu P'up and Trooper II 2.3L DCR-384

84-87 Isuzu Trooper II 1.9L DCR-340

81 Datsun 510 2.0L DCR-342

82-86 Nissan Stanza 2.0L DCR-342

75-80 Datsun Pickup 2.0L DCH-340

81-83 Nissan Pickup 2.2L DCR-342

83-85 Nissan Pickup 2.4L DCR-384

82-84 Chevy S-10 1.9L DCH-340

80-86 Nissan Pulsar 2.0L DCR-342

80-86 Nissan Pulsar 2.2L DCR-360

83-85 Nissan Pulsar 2.4L DCR-384

I'm pretty sure the DCH-340 was the one I test fit onto a EA82 manifold. From what I've seen, the model numbers of Hitachi carbs tell you the throttle bore sizes as follows:

First 2 digits are the larger bore.

Last digit is the last digit of the smaller bore, so you have to assume the first digit of the smaller bore.

So an EA81 DCP-306 is a 26/30, an EA82 DCZ-328 is a 28/32, etc.

If anyone tries one of these carbs, PLEASE let us know how it works.