Ultimate Subaru Message Board

They both have similar amounts of interior passenger room and cargo room (just arrayed differently). Despite the 40 more horse out of the outback, the Forrester is a couple hundred lbs lighter and I do believe it's turbo spools much earlier (I've heard just under 2k rpm). I haven't driven the XT models of either yet though I have crawled through them taking measurements (I have a family of 4, 2 big dogs and do a lot of biking)

Opinions?

they really feel a lot different. Dealer is curently trying to twist my arm to trade my 99 forester for an XT Forester.

For my use the Outback and Legacy are too long as they require one more back up in my yard to turn around and don't park as well in the city.

Nice choices to have.

I've never heard of an Outback XT. Also I don't think any of the new subes' turbos spool at anything less than 2400 rpm. My 84 turbo wagon starts spooling at 1200 rpm! :brow:

you've never heard of the Outback XT? Dude I see them almost daily already (and we're in the same state). Sure your tubo starts spooling at 1200 but when does it reach max boost? W/o looking it up the 84 had about 115hp at the crank and about 80 at the wheel right?

I've never heard of an Outback XT. Also I don't think any of the new subes' turbos spool at anything less than 2400 rpm. My 84 turbo wagon starts spooling at 1200 rpm! :brow:

oh yeah...I don't know what the forrester xt spools at since I haven't driven it yet. I heard the Outback XT spools at around the same as the WRX (which I believe is about 3k)

Any one have more/better/correct info?

Not sure where the turbo comes in on the Forester. All I know is when you step on the gas, it takes off like a scalded rat with very little lag. I'll have to take it out and check tomorrow. I do know the Forester is quicker than the Outback. It has also been said that despite the HP rating of 210 by SOA, many people have dynoed them considerably higher. That and the lighter weight and (I think) different gearing makes for a real eye-opening experience.

If you don't like the ride height of the Forester, WRX suspension parts swap in easily.

So if you want a vehicle that is quicker than a WRX, but can carry bikes, dogs etc. yet still doesn't really catch the eye of police, I'd give the Forester a close look if I were you.

Not sure where the turbo comes in on the Forester. All I know is when you step on the gas, it takes off like a scalded rat with very little lag. I'll have to take it out and check tomorrow. I do know the Forester is quicker than the Outback. It has also been said that despite the HP rating of 210 by SOA, many people have dynoed them considerably higher. That and the lighter weight and (I think) different gearing makes for a real eye-opening experience.

If you don't like the ride height of the Forester, WRX suspension parts swap in easily.

So if you want a vehicle that is quicker than a WRX, but can carry bikes, dogs etc. yet still doesn't really catch the eye of police, I'd give the Forester a close look if I were you.

Thanks for the input...right now I am favoring the Forrester. When I took the tape measurer to them I was suprised with the cargo room. I have yet to see any wheel horsepower dynos.....people can post all kinds of crank #s but once all that power gets robbed by tranny, AWD system, etc it's interesting to see how they come out. I believe the Forrester is only around 250 to 300lb less but again I think not only does the turbo spool much quicker but it might be valved differently......still looking for input

I am not happy with the configuation of the new Outback, they may have similar square footage but the opening is very small on the Outback. It doesn't matter what can fit in there, if you can't get it in the tailgate. Friends of ours just bought a Forester based on it will fit a dog crate in the back and the Outback wouldn't.

If I had the money I would by the Forester XT. But I will keep driving our Legacy GT, when my wife lets me. :-\

I am not happy with the configuation of the new Outback, they may have similar square footage but the opening is very small on the Outback. It doesn't matter what can fit in there, if you can't get it in the tailgate. Friends of ours just bought a Forester based on it will fit a dog crate in the back and the Outback wouldn't.

If I had the money I would by the Forester XT. But I will keep driving our Legacy GT, when my wife lets me. :-\

Ain't that the truth....My mother bought an 04 Outback as they are letting them go pretty cheap right now...I was actually pretty disappointed with the cargo area compared to my '90 Legacy Wagon....the entrance w/my tailgate was bigger and I had more "useable" room.

• 1 year later...

I'M TRYING TO MAKE THE SAME DECISION, I was also looking at the X3 bmw .. my first choice wasthe legacy gt wagons only no 5spds only autos.

I lwas thinking outback xt and put on a baja front bumper with hellas so I can see bettter...hahah. What would be the advantage of the Forrester.

this thread is very old, and by now, there is an outback xt and a forester xt. the outback makes 20 more hp and is much bigger. way bigger. saw both next to each other at a car show, and the forester was drawfed by the wagon.

i dunno the prices and i'm not trying to knock on the forester people, but i love the outback (got a 97, handles like a sports car....almost, at least), and it looks great. dunno how you would put a baja bumper on there (different front end, so i assume you meant the brush bar thingy, but even then you'll probably have to fab or cut:eek:) subaru does have a skid plate looking thing that you can mount lights too, might go that route when i get lights (wie schade that not many places make one for the 1st gen outback :-\)

a baby bimmer suv? are you kidding?

For room and stuff.... get the forester. The more vertical space should help with the dogs. As to which one is faster/has more power... drive em both. The #'s really are irrelevant. If both get up and go at what feels like the same rate, who cares if one is QUOTED to have like 40 more HP. Remember... alot of cars seem to be quoted wrong. And you can always toss STi toys on a forester :clap: