Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I've Hatched!

Almost back on the net again, should be operational tomorrow! So in celebration; my "Official" announcement of a new baby in the family.

She's an '84 GL Hatch 4spd. Dark Forrest Green and the obligatory tan interior. Very minimal rust, 140k and some big plans.

(Should I tell? everyone here likes to be so secretive about their upcoming projects.....) Seing as it's nothing radical, : 4" lift, 14" Chev 6 lugs & Swampers, LSD, fresh 1800 built for low end grunt, and of course, the "Eyesore" treatment; big honkin hood scoop, lots of lights, and guns...(somewhere haven't decided on a location yet.) Paint also as yet to be determined.

And yes, Eyesore is For Sale. Though, to be honest if no one buys it I won't be burdened by keeping her. Just strapped for cash with the new project.

Wish me luck!!!

Congrats on the new one!

If it's truely for off-road then weld the diff! There is no real comparison to LSD vs Lincoln.

Document the transformation of the beast so we can see it evolve....... :brow:

Good Luck,

Glenn

82 SubaruHummer

01 Forester

Thanks, all. I'm terribly excited to see this come together. Yes, it is being built for wheelin, but it's also my winter, all-road vehicle. and as basically easy as pulling the axle may be, it's damn inconvienient the morning after an unexpected snowstorm, to do it in the driveway in work clothes. I'll sacrafice some traction for general ease. (at least for now.)

As for Eyesore, I want way more than she's worth, but I'm thinking $600-$800 is fair given the things that have been done and the things that need to be done.

I haven't even posted it in the marketplace, (or the newspaper/auto trader) yet, because I plan to fix a couple of things first.

Well, she needs a drivers window regulator (have one located) The ignition cylinder is shot, so it's hotwired to a toggle switch, she has an exhaust leak, and a mystery vaccum leak...Maybe the carb gasket. Haven't really dug into it too deeply, basically an unwillingness to idle below 1000rpm, runs great otherwise. symptoms manifested at time of carb replacement, about 1500 miles ago. (650 of which was the long but perfectly uneventful drive here from Iowa she just made.)

NEW, within the last 1500-5000 miles: Carb, RF Axle, RF balljoint, rear axle u-joints, Brakes (Pads, shoes, both rotors, RF caliper) Tires (Firestone winterfires) Cap, Rotor, Plugs, Points, Condenser, H-4 headlight conversion w/ Sylvania Silverstar bulbs, and a couple of other things I can't think of right now.

I would like to see her go to someone who will love her.........

Pull n Save is the location of the "found" regulator. (that white wagon?) sadly the ign. cyl. has no key, or I'd grab that too. Get paid on Wed, need to hit the yard. .........My mom always kinda liked eyesore, nudge nudge, wink wink.......

Yes, need to empty the inbox. I should give Shawn some $ for the board next time I see him too.

I doubt it, especially with "that" exhaust

the guns and lights may make the testers take a second look :girn:

it sure was cool to pass eyesore in the battle of the mud, mw2 :drunk:

why do I keep posting? I dunno :-p

Ok,

Question from my friend, but its good..... Does it pass the wretched CO emissions?

The exhaust work and all major mods were done here in Denver before I moved to Iowa. It passed no problem the last time it was tested in Co., but that was almost 3 years ago. The vaccum leak (or whatever it is) that won't let it idle properly under 1000 rpms will, at present, prevent it from passing. The motor has less than 80k original miles on it though, so a little wrenching should have it running like a champ. (she ran great before the carb ordeal) Ask the guys at MW2, she was clawing her way through that bottomless mud as well as most of the other soobs. She's by no means perfect, but she's got a lotta heart.