Ultimate Subaru Message Board

91 loyale died on highway, no warning

yeah I don't know why he took it out, he claims he couldn't get to the screw! So thier is a certain way the thing is supose to go back in? We lined everything up except for the main body and the part that spins at the bottom.

yeah, that part that spins at the bottom is one thing you really do need to put back perfectly, otherwise its like advancing or retarding your ignition timing like mad. if it's way off, you won't get a damn thing out of the engine, but if its only a little off, you can seriously start breaking things in the engine when it fires halfway thorugh the compression stroke or something and makes the engine try and turn backwards

restabbing the disty isnt that hard. Put the timing marks on the flywheel to the 0 mark, and then put the disty in so the rotor is pointing at the #1 plug wire. keep in mind, when you put it in, because of the curved splines on the disty shaft, you'll have to turn the disty a little past where it should be as you are sliding it down.

Good luck with it. If you are closer to FBKS let me know. I can come help also

Northguy and snowman have my phone number, get it from them if you need my help

restabbing the disty isnt that hard. Put the timing marks on the flywheel to the 0 mark, and then put the disty in so the rotor is pointing at the #1 plug wire. keep in mind, when you put it in, because of the curved splines on the disty shaft, you'll have to turn the disty a little past where it should be as you are sliding it down.

Good luck with it. If you are closer to FBKS let me know. I can come help also

Northguy and snowman have my phone number, get it from them if you need my help

thanks dude, really appreciate the help! I'm going to go back and try again, hopefully avoid getting a tow. Thanks again i'll update my progress Josh

Dude, where is your car located?

Sorry I didn't see this thread earlier, but now I am here to help if you need it. It sounds like the disty was probably stabbed wrong. It's also possible that the wires were put back on incorrectly. Will it fire at all or are you getting nothing?

I would love to help and will drive just about anywhere to do so. I'm free today and tonight after three pm, as well as a little bit on thursday and friday. This should be a quick fix. Check your PM box for my phone number and give me a call.

Dude, where is your car located?

Sorry I didn't see this thread earlier, but now I am here to help if you need it. It sounds like the disty was probably stabbed wrong. It's also possible that the wires were put back on incorrectly. Will it fire at all or are you getting nothing?

I would love to help and will drive just about anywhere to do so. I'm free today and tonight after three pm, as well as a little bit on thursday and friday. This should be a quick fix. Check your PM box for my phone number and give me a call.

Thanks man, yeah I just have to wait for my girlfriend to get back so I can take her car over there. The car will turn over and thats about it. as far as the firing order goes do you have to start that some where specific on the cap?

I'm not sure it it HAS to start anywhere specific as long as the position of the shaft is adjusted accordingly, but to be safe and to avoid future confusion, I'd put everything in just like your Chilton's says to.

Do you have a timing light to set that once it's in there? I've got one you can borrow if you need it. If you have to do it without a light, just get it to run, and turn the disty back and fourth until it runs best. I have stabbed it off a tooth a couple of times, and the way to determine that is if the car runs better with the disty retarded as far as it can go, it's ahead a tooth, if it runs better with more advance, it's on, and if it just runs like absolute crap, it's a tooth retarded.

Best of luck to you!

Mine stopped on the way home from work about a month ago.Thought it was the timing belts.Ended up the screw that holds the rotor button in place fell out.It would turn over but not start.Hope this helps.

Yeah, that was exactly what it was. The screws threads were completly stripped out, I got it hope now the ignition timing is off. Go figure! Thanks for the input