Ultimate Subaru Message Board

chevy transfer case?

archemitis

Well the old Cast Iron chevy cases were I would guess either an NP 205, or an NP 203.

The 205 is vertually indestructable , even running with big block motors, so it would be over kill for your suby. The 203 is a chain driven unit, and it too is a pretty stout unit.

The 205 low reange is only like 1.9:1 so it really wouldn't be benificial to mate it up. The 203 is a little better at like 2.2:1. Now one thing to check for on the 203 is to make sure it has the part time kit installed in it. Most 203's were a full time x-fer case and might be trouble for the subes. I am not sure though.

yeah the 205 are heavy mofo's almost.. bullet proof i did break one .. so thats why i say almost

one tiny problem tho...

all teh chevy t cases well most tcases infact the front drive output is offset

instead of centered like a datsun tcase..

so that might be a problem

If it is out of an S-10 it is probably a "New Venture 233" It has an aluminum case and weighs 74 pounds. It has a 2.76 ratio. If you could work the driveshaft problems out it might make a good candidate for a T-case job. I think they are made with a variety of outputs, so it would have to be done on a "case by case" basis (no pun intended ;) )