Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Lost AWD in a 95 legacy outback

I just purchased my second subaru and unknown to me the AWD is not working, (the first snowfall of the season and I can't go anywhere). It is about to hit 100k, automatic but only the front tires spin when I step on it during slick conditions. I have noticed that on a decline, turning sharply, I will feel the front bind a hair. I previously had a 90' legacy and that would happen once in a while. I have looked for a fuse to control the clutch, the car isn't equiped with traction control, I am just looking for good starting place to diagnose this problem before I let the mechanics take me to the cleaners.

Thank

Fondy210

I think the fuse holder that colorado is talking about it the one that you use to put the tranny in FWD only, usually if there is a fuze in there, it is because there is a problem with the tranny in the first place. I have a friend with the same problem, after checking evrything we could think of, we finally resolved that the tranny needs to be replaced. I was suggest getting one from a year near yours. Since your's is a 95, the first year of the gen 2 (some say gen 3, they think there was a change at 92), I'd stick with a 95, 96 or 97 tranny.

I would start by doing some searches on this site for users with similar problems. One I know of was posted by patcal titled "starting to hate this car (tranny) Help!!". I have the same problem with my '90 legacy w/auto and 180k. Here's what I've done:

Tore apart the transmission – nothing wrong.

Replaced the TCU (transmission control unit) – nothing wrong.

Inserted and removed the FWD fuse – no difference.

Checked the voltage going directly to the Duty C solenoid which controls the AWD – problem found!

I’ve fixed it by putting a switch in the wire going to the Duty C solenoid. For some reason my car ALWAYS has 12v going to the solenoid, which keeps it in two wheel drive. When I break the connection it puts it in full time four wheel drive, when it’s connected it goes back to front wheel drive. So far it’s worked great – I love it in the snow because it stays locked up all the time. The only thing I have to be careful of is not to drive with it locked up on the pavement.

I think the post by Patcal has all the references to which wire to look for and what he did to solve his problem. You might just have a bad transmission control unit. Good luck. Dave

I was attempting some off-camber stuff in my front yard the other day and I had forgotten for a second that my car was AWD..untill I went up a hill kinda funny and felt the AWD kick in and I was up...up...and away. Then I went through some sugar sand in 1st gear (auto) and had people nearby looking at me like I was on crack.

I have a switch on the dash for my Duty C so I shut the AWD off when I take long highway trips.

Sounds like the transfer clutches in your Tranny have gone bad :(

Unfortunately, with high of mileage, this is quite a common issue.....

You may want to get it diagnosed?

but if it's 2wd only, likely that's the source of your problem.

and $$$$ to fix... :(

Jamie

Don’t worry about the clutches just yet – first make sure the electrical system is working properly. When I bought mine I was all wigged out that the clutches were bad and that’s why I took the whole thing apart – to replace them. When I pulled off the extension housing everything looked brand new. Then I started chasing the electrical and found the voltage wasn’t changing.

By the way – if the clutches are bad they are relatively easy to replace. I’m just not sure if you can buy them separately from a whole rebuild kit. I think the kits for the whole tranny run about $150 so it’s still not that much. The only trick is getting the extension housing off and back on. I did mine in my garage and didn’t think it was too hard. You don’t even have to remove the transmission. Good luck and let us know what happens. Dave

Hello Dave and everyone

When you say the voltage wasnt changing, you mean there was a short somewhere? Where did your short located at? I am having the same problem( Duty C solenoid, code 24) and about to pull everything off.

Mainly I am looking for a common location where the wiring maybe weak.

Thanks

I wish I could find where the short is. I’ve checked everything – speed sensors, FWD fuse voltage, TPS, etc. All the inputs are good and I don’t have any error codes that show up on the TCU. But, the voltage to the Duty C solenoid is always the same 12V. So it never goes into four wheel drive. As I mentioned before, my quick and easy solution was to put a switch in the wire that goes from the TCU to the Duty C solenoid. My car originally came with the adjustable air suspension. I ripped it all out about two years ago when it died. I just used the space where the height switch was and put in another rear defroster switch from the junkyard. When I push the new defroster switch in, it connects the TCU to the solenoid and I’m in front wheel drive. When I push it again it comes out and disconnects the TCU for four wheel drive. I think the only way to find the short would be to take to a dealer who can hook it up to a select monitor and actually see the inputs and outputs from the TCU. But I hate dealers so I haven’t done it yet. Besides, I kind of like my switch – it really makes the car go in the mud and snow.

After reading high and low and filtering through all of the info about subies I found the FWD fuse and to my surprise, no fuse. I grabbed a spare and plugged it in and now the red fwd dash light is on but I have FWD back. I like the idea of placing a switch to control the drive train, anything to keep money in my pocket and out of the hands of the dealers.

• 2 weeks later...

I have ethe same issue with my 98 Impreza OBW. I'd love to do the switch. Can someone advise where to find this wire? I'd much rather have a switch that have the car tell me I need 4wd.

Loved my 94 Loyale with the button in the shifter.

BTW, when I press the brake pedal, the dash lights come on. Sign of something related?