Ultimate Subaru Message Board

? on swapping engines...

To anyone who can help,

I have an ‘88 GL WGN with an EA82 SPFI Non-turbo engine that has gone the way of the ghost. Oil is blowing back through the intake, I'm talking bad. But, I have a friend with an ‘87 EA82 Carb engine that is in good shape that he is willing to sell to me. My question is, can I transfer my SPFI manifold over to the new block, are the blocks compatible or are there major differences?

-Mike

I'll check the PCV, but the engine is blowing smoke and oil out the tail pipe as well and it dies if I let it drop down to idle speed. I was experiencing noisy (clattering) valves before this happened. Also, when the valves clattered, the engine temp would rise quickly, usually when I was driving up hill. My engine has 180K on it to boot.

I was also considering ordering one of those used engines that are suppose to be from Japan, out of California, they claim to have low miles, around 40K. An EA82 sells for $500 plus $150 for shipping, any input on those engine dealers?

-Mike

the carb block is 8.7:1 I do believe, and the SPFI block is 9.5:1, but other than the piston change, I do believe they are completely the same.

The heads I do believe are identical. I know the intake manifold matches up and so does the exhaust, but I'm not sure on the internals, like, valves ect. I suppose they are the same but I can't say for certain.

if you just swap the block itself, you're looking at a fuel mileage drop going from 9.5:1 down to 8.7:1. but not by much.

yeh i think you need the diizzy from the spfi aswell, and it was a while ago that i read it but i think it needs some minor modifcation to a tab that hangs off and interfers with the carb block. it should be a bit quicker than a carb engine and better fuel eccon. but not as good as a spfi with 9.5:1 compression.

Yes it will swap over with no modification. You will have to block off the air suction valve ports on the bottom of the carb heads, but that's it. It won't have the power of the original engine due to the previously mentioned compression drop.

BUT, I also question whether or not this is necessary. Unless you have done a compression test or have noticed a HUGE drop in power/fuel economy, I doubt that the rings are bad as that is not a common problem on these engines. The PCV system can easily get fouled up and suck MAJOR oil like you are describing.

I'll check the PCV, but the engine is blowing smoke and oil out the tail pipe as well and it dies if I let it drop down to idle speed. I was experiencing noisy (clattering) valves before this happened. Also, when the valves clattered, the engine temp would rise quickly, usually when I was driving up hill. My engine has 180K on it to boot.

I was also considering ordering one of those used engines that are suppose to be from Japan, out of California, they claim to have low miles, around 40K. An EA82 sell for $500 plus $150 for shipping, any input on those engine dealers?

-Mike

Can't tell you about the compatability issue, but...

Are you sure that you don't have just a PCV issue? More likely that than sudden oily blow-by. Is your power still good?

I was also considering ordering one of those used engines that are suppose to be from Japan, out of California, they claim to have low miles, around 40K. An EA82 sells for $500 plus $150 for shipping, any input on those engine dealers?

-Mike

you can put you SPFI stuff on the carb motor..however you will have lower compression and your car will be slower that stock.as the first engine in my wagon was a carb block w/SPFI, and it sucked

i doubt you need to swap your engine, check your pvc system