Ultimate Subaru Message Board

High Lift Jack Tips and Tricks?

MorganM

My inlaws got me a SWEET high lift jack for Christmas. Initially they didn't want to get it for me becuase they thought I would kill myself with it. I told them it was for offroading not for really holding my car up while I work under it. So they got me a pretty nice one !_!

Anyway...

Whats some tips and tricks to this thing and offroading? I've never really used one... Some things I can think of:

• Keep a slab of wood for solid base to set it on.
  • Use to jack up if high centerd then stuff things under wheels.
  • Jack up and push it off the jack to get out of a nasty rut. Someone else actually mentioned this to me. Sounds a little unsafe but so are a lot of things :-p

What else?

You can also use it to push your car with it. Put the base against a solid part of the car and the lift jaw against a tree or big rock and jack away. Up here we call them handyman jacks, and they are responsible for a number of broken jaws, concussions, and broken wrists/hands/crushed fingers. Be careful.

can be used as a come-along.

hook up one chain to the pipe, the other to the jacking mechanism and jack away.

Jacking vehicle off a high-center is also a great one. Sister's Jeep got stuck on a Jeep trap mound. We hooked a line to the front of the Jeep and then jacked her rear up. Towed it off of the mount. Jack fell as it moved forward.

bw

There have been several instances where I got highcentered or just stuck and had to jack my way out by sticking rocks under the tires. It takes a while to position rocks under the tires right, but if you do it right the first time you wont have to do it again.