Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1984 GL - Suggestions Please for purchase of GL

Hi Everyone and Happy New Year. I would like anyone's advise about the 1984 GL. I found a great deal for one that has been in the same family for years and I will purchase it as a used car. It has 77,000 miles (?). "little old lady selling it".... seems too good to be true.... Is there any specific things I should look for when examining this great little car? It needs a new a/c compressor? Does that portend a bigger problem? Anyone ever have to replace one of those at what cost??

when you are checking for rust there is a minimal amount that is ok.it depends on what you want to do with the car.if you are planning on driving it for a while i would say look at all the body panels,frame rails ,floorboards etc...if it is not to bad, it is not that hard to fix.77 thousand miles is extremely good.you can drive that thing as long as you want to with regular maintenance.there are plenty of resources on this and other boards to help you get body parts and pretty much anything you want for it that is possible.for a good price even some fixable rust can be overlooked.

Well, being that you are from Cali I doubt that rust will be an issue.

77K is really low miles. Almost too low. This means that it wasn't driven much and could require resealing. Not a big deal on the EA81 really. Valve covers, intake and carb gaskets, oil pump and oil pan gaskets, front and rear main seals are all that really go wrong. The '80-84 wagons are great cars. They are reliable as rain in Washington but are a little under powered. You should have a reliable long lasting vehicle.

Good luck!