Ultimate Subaru Message Board

• 7 months later...
Does your dome light flicker on when the key chime comes on? If so the door switch is bad. Attack the cause of the problem instead of the result.

I was an import auto dealer tech for over 10 years. As I posted the same type of question 3 months ago with a full description of the problem. the dome light does not go on, and the door open light does not go on in the dash cluster, the door switches operate and test fine, the doors are in adjustment, hinges are perfect, the door latches properly. Now I will tell you what I found out this weekend. A single black wire on the end of th ignition switch leads to a micro switch, which after a long time spent diagnosing seems to be sticking. The micro switch senses the key in the ignition, which will start beeping if the keys are left in the igniton when you park and open the drivers side door. My chimer was going off while driving. because it was sticking it was making the chime go off.

Now the chime is in the meter display area near the fuel gauge, but you have to remove the printed circuit board to remove it. So instead of spending the cash to replace an other wise perfectly good ignition switch, and having to get a new one re-keyed ( because you cant get the micro-switch alone ), I elected to cut the negative wire for the micro- switch ( which can be repaired if i ever replace the ignition switch ) I did use a subaru electrical manual to trace wires and look at diagrams to make sure there would be no negative effects on cutting the wire, and there were none.

Plus that damn noise drives me crazy in the first place and I dont think I would ever hook it up again anyway. So, as you can see I did attack the root of the problem, I was curious to see if any other legacy owners had a similair problem.

• 6 years later...

My 97 legacy is doing this recently. Incredibly annoying and non stop from start till arrival. The door sensor seems to be ok since the light I the dash is not showing an open door. I'm going to try cutting the Mocroswitch/sensor in the ignition like legacy2.5 described. If anyone has any advice I would appreciate it. Thanks and I'll relay my progress on this thread.

Update: I cut the solid black wire on top of the ignition and drove around for 20 minutes of errands and all seems well. I think the key lock that disables the key from being removed while in gear has been disabled but the horrible, non stop beeping has stopped. I'm calling it a success.

Edited by Nbe1210

I think the door chime is on the back of the speedo gauge assembly. I'd have to see if I can find a old picture I took when I converted my cluster to LED but I think it's a brown or black pezo speaker. My 95 cluster I have in the house now might be the same as the 97.

To Get rid of EJ series Door chime:

Remove plastic trim around multifunction switch/ignition switch

find the black and black/white wire going to a little switch on the side of the ignition lock assembly. Cut one of the two wires. By doing this, it stops the chime completely when the key is in the ignition

Yeah that part sucks.. I end up just closing the doors if I'm working outside. But don't be like me and forget I had my HVAC blower on 1 and I turned the key to on so I could fix the rear defroster.. About an hour later I'm like why is the grid showing 10V..

That's when I found out lol... :clap:

• 1 month later...

Just thought I would mention that cutting the wire to the ignition micro switch has successfully stopped the beeping for a few months now. The one downside is it has disabled the "shifter lock" on my automatic transmission so that I can take the key out of the car while it is in drive/ reverse/ etc. Not really a big deal except my wife has a mini fit when the car won't start because I left it in drive. I have a standard so I often forget to put it in park. She always manages to figure it out but I catch hell for it.

• 9 years later...
On 8/25/2012 at 9:40 PM, torxxx said:

To Get rid of EJ series Door chime:

Remove plastic trim around multifunction switch/ignition switch

find the black and black/white wire going to a little switch on the side of the ignition lock assembly. Cut one of the two wires. By doing this, it stops the chime completely when the key is in the ignition

Will this work on a 2000 obw?

• 4 months later...

Oops. Clipped the wires, plural. Unintentionally. It was a stretch to reach the wire with my clippers, and I guess I got too much of a bite. Which explains the dying cry from the chime when the circuit was briefly closed by the clippers/dykes. At any rate, the “key in ignition, door open” chime is just a bad memory. :-)

• 1 year later...