Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Greetings!!!!

Hello to everyone. I just became a member, and this is my first post. I have an 87 1/2 subaru xt with a 5-speed, and awd. I bought my car for about 200 bucks, with approx. 102,000. miles on it. It isn't running, and I don't know why just yet, but the engine turns freely. Currently, I have no fuel from the pump, and I suspect that I don't have any power to it, but have not had a chance to fully investigate it yet. Anyway, I'm in middle tennessee area...anyone close? I'll be back with lots of questions. Thanks!!!

Yo,

Hope its a turbo, those are cool and the 87.5 is super rare. Anyhoo, come over to http://www.xt6.net when you have a chance, its an xt only forum and theres a guy with the same problem. First thing to do is crawl under the car and feed the pump 12V directly. If it goes, then its gotta be either the relay or the ignition. There also should be a fuse, but dont quote me on that.

Have fun!

Welcome to the good ship USMB.

Congrats on the fine purchase.

Your car has a EA82 series engine for future reference.

Since you do not mention it being a turbo unit

it will have the just the MPFI fuel system

(Multi Point Fuel Injection)

A turbo will have MPFI also BTW.

The fuel pump on these engines only gets power when

1) The key is first turned on ( the pump will only run for a second or two)

2) the engine is being cranked over to start

(it will continue to run for a short period after the key is released)

or

3) the engine is running

You may have a broken timing belt (there are two on this engine)

To test for this

1) remove the distributor cap (two screws horizontally opposed)

2) watch the rotor as some one else cranks the car over to start

3) if the rotor does not turn the timing belt on the driver's side is broken

4) the belt on the pass side may be the problem but you normally get some fire

in the hole when cranking.

There a labyrinth of "other" problems please check this and

let us know.

Again welcome.

Yeah, when I got the car, the timing covers were in the trunk. It had two new timing belts on it, but when I checked, the timing was way...way out. I think I got the timing right, and it turns over very freely. I just have no fuel. I replaced the pump with another used pump, but still no fuel. I haven't been able to check the pump relay, nor have I been able to verify voltage at the pump connector. I work nights, and lots of overtime, so I don't get to play with it much now. I placed another post with more info about the car...check it out if you can....it tells a little more about how it was when I got it. The car was not running when I got it, and still does not run, but I haven't had the chance to do much to it. Thanks for all the info so far....keep it coming.!!!!