Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'84 2WD tranny into '84 D/R 4WD?

Mac

This is a worst case scenario question. My transmission is toast on my '84 GL Wagon D/R 4-spd. I'm trying to locate a reasonably priced replacement but may not. All those dang transmissions are up in the the snow belt!!!

So ... I need the car working for work. I can find a transmission for an '84 2WD. Has anyone taken one of these and put it in a 4WD? I'm thinking that I can put the 2WD transmission in and keep the car working until such time as I find a real replacement transmission.

The shifter linkage is different between 2wd and 4wd transmissions, so you will need to obtain those parts too.

Thanks. I picked up a parts '84 awhile back with a funky body but a reasonably good engine and an okay 2WD tranny. I thought I got it primarily for the engine. Never thought about reverse going out on my 4WD D/R tranny!

Actual worst case scenario is just fix the clutch and not worry about reverse until I find a real replacement. Just push it backwards when necessary.

While I've got your ear, what 4-speed will fit my '84. I've heard just '83 and '84 because clutch plate was smaller in '82, '81. (200mm vs 225mm). Correct or bum gouge?

While I've got your ear, what 4-speed will fit my '84. I've heard just '83 and '84 because clutch plate was smaller in '82, '81. (200mm vs 225mm). Correct or bum gouge?

correct. actually these will fit:

83-84 4x4 Wagon

83-89 4x4 Hatch

84-87 Brat (possibly 83 but I just parted one that only had 86k original miles, and it had the smaller clutch)...

If you put in the 2wd, you will need the use the flywheel/clutch set-up from it.

hi mac have you checked the linkage on your tranny? on my 88 when i bought it there was no reverse i crawled under it and took that dang spring pin out and put a new one in and got reverse back:)

That could be the problem. those pins where out over time. a small bolt will also fix revarse

Good info to know. No, I haven't checked the spring pin. I know nothing about transmissions and took the car to a supposedly reputable shop. They said the tranny was toast and to junk the car even though it's only reverse that is inoperative. But given this info, I need a second opinion from someone I can point in the spring pin direction. Few shops have Subafluent mechanics here because there aren't many 'Rus.

I have an '85 Brat that someone put a 2WD manual transmission in. The gear shifter sits about an inch or two forward, so they cut the rubber boot and replaced the console with a GL wagon console to make it fit. I am working on putting a 4WD back in (they descerated the Brat in my opinion), but I just want to let you know that it is doable.