Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I took my 2002 Impreza Outback Sport to the dealership for a regular oil change and the dealer told me that my clutch is slipping and that it needs to be replaced. I have less than 27,000 miles on this car. Even though I'm a woman, I have experience with standard transmission and I know how to drive a car without abusing the clutch. The car is no longer under warranty - I originally leased it back in August 2001 for 3 years and was so pleased with it, I decided to buy it last May. The dealer called the factory and Subaru has agreed to pay part of the cost to replace the clutch, but they won't agree to how much until they take the clutch apart and assess the damage. I didn't even know there was anything wrong with the clutch although I did experience the clutch shudder that I read about on this message board. Am I wrong to think that I'm getting a raw deal here? Any suggestions on how to handle this? I am taking it elsewhere for a second opinion ...

When you hit the gas hard, especially in 1st or 2nd gear, does the car go, or do the revs build up without the car accelerating? Since you have driven a manual for a while, I'm sure you would have noticed this, and you said you didn't notice any problems. So I'm guessing the sevice tech said something along the lines of "Oh, check it out, a chick! I'll betcha I can get her to buy a new clutch!" as you where driving in. When my wife takes her car to Oil Can Henry's for an oil change (I have no place to do it myself), I can't belive the extra crap they try to sell her that they've never tried on me. It pisses me off.

I work in Bethlehem, myself, so I can guess the dealership you are talking about. Although I have total respect for the mechanics there, I am very leary about the management. I took my wife's car there last year as a last resort since that seemed to be the only way I'd get my car through inspection (the godd_m CEL was on...) and paid alot of money for nothing. They also charge over list price for parts. If it were me, I'd talk directly to the mechanic who, supposedly, diagnosed the clutch problem. Otherwise, I would echo the sufggestion above to get a second opinion eleswhere. There's an independent guy over in Klecknersville who specializes in Subies and he seems upright, honest and knowledgeable.

Coincidentally I just changed out the clutch in our Subie last weekend. This weekend will be even colder and snowier. Why not go for it yourself?!?

I would always be leary of things that stealerships "find" when you go in for regular maintinence. I spent many years working as a tech in dealerships and have known techs who will try to upsell anything they can to get work. If you have owned the car for 3+ years, then you will know when something is not right w/ the clutch. Pay for your oil change, and never go back again.

<<This could (and probably should) fall under the 5 year 60,000 mile powertrain warranty, and therefore be 100% covered. The shudder is a know issue, stick by your guns, contact SOA directly and open up a case.>>

no, the clutch is covered under the 12/12 wearable parts warranty. what they are likely going to do is check the clutch disk and they can tell if there is abuse. if so they won't honor the "discount". I just did a clutch job on "Mccall" last weekend. he got a great deal. Dealer wants about $1000, we did it for almost half that. P.M. me or mail me if you want a quote. thanks

subarueast@yahoo.com

• 4 weeks later...
When you hit the gas hard, especially in 1st or 2nd gear, does the car go, or do the revs build up without the car accelerating? Since you have driven a manual for a while, I'm sure you would have noticed this, and you said you didn't notice any problems. So I'm guessing the sevice tech said something along the lines of "Oh, check it out, a chick! I'll betcha I can get her to buy a new clutch!" as you where driving in. When my wife takes her car to Oil Can Henry's for an oil change (I have no place to do it myself), I can't belive the extra crap they try to sell her that they've never tried on me. It pisses me off.

I work as a Service Advisor at a Subaru dealership in Victoria, B.C. Canada. Our technicians see a last name on the keytag of a customers' keys and have no clue as to whether the customer is male or female. We book a week in advance for while you wait work and over a week in advance for longer jobs where the customer needs a loan car. So your theory that an upsell was happening based on gender is stupid. Nor do reputable dealerships have to "upsell" work that is not needed. We have more work than we can keep up with as it is. If the customer doubts the call on a slipping clutch, she can not do the suggested work or take the vehicle somewhere else for a second opinion.

Well it wouldn't be beyond a Subaru dealer to try to rip off someone they thought that they could....one in the DC area just tried to charge my mom $500 for a brake job on her 02 Outback with 25k on it. I went in and talked to the advisor and the tech and they eventually told me they were "looking at the wrong car on the computer." That being said i have an 01 Outback Sport with 83k on the original clutch so I would ask a lot of questions before you let them charge you for that...

• 3 years later...

In my mind, I got completely shafted by my Subaru dealer recently. My 2002 Subaru Outback Sport has 104K miles but I took it in for a hefty 90K service and to inspect a clicking noise coming from the engine. They kept my car for over two weeks. When I was paying for the service, the cashier told me that they had her do my oil and filter change. I had an oil and filter change done a week before and told them not to do it. They ignored my directive and had an unauthorized person do it. I was taken aback at the poor (and extremely expensive) service I received. Also, the techs aparently didn't road test my vechicle because I got it back in worse condition that it was in when I dropped it off, with the noise still present. They found about ten other things that needed to be repaired, fixed, replaced and charged me a whopping $5,000 for the repairs. One of those ten other things was the rear bearings in my transmission needed to be replaced. That alone cost me $200 for parts and $700 in labor. I took it back the next day and they stated that the clutch needed to be replaced. I paid for that too (another $600), which took two more days. Upon picking it up again, they told me that the center bearings in my transmission need to be replaced too, however that would cost me an additional $1,500. Shouldn't they pay for that repair since they initially replaced the rear bearings yet failed to recognize (or inform me until later) that my center bearings needed to be replaced as well? Very, very unprofessional service in my opinion. I opened up a complaint with SoA and they are investingating the issue. I'm considering filing a claim with the BBB as well. My advice, stay away from dealerships and go with an independent shop. It'll be worth your time and money to do so. "Certified Subaru Repair Technician" is a term that I have come to distrust wholeheartedly. I'll never go back there.

I'm pretty sure the problem was fixed by 2002, but in case it wasn't...

The oil separator plate used to be made of plastic which can leak and get oil on the clutch disc and trash it.

Maybe do a search on that you should find out what year they were updated to the metal one.

Good Luck!

The test my pop taught me for a clutch is to put the safety brake on (at a stand still obviously) and put the car in fifth and let out the clutch while giving a bit of gas as if you're starting off in first from a stop, if the car stalls the clutch is fine, if it doesn't the clutch is on it's way out.

That's a crazy story. You could buy a nice used car for the money you've spent trying to fix this one! I'd get a lawyer and sue their butts...

In my mind, I got completely shafted by my Subaru dealer recently. My 2002 Subaru Outback Sport has 104K miles but I took it in for a hefty 90K service and to inspect a clicking noise coming from the engine. They kept my car for over two weeks. When I was paying for the service, the cashier told me that they had her do my oil and filter change. I had an oil and filter change done a week before and told them not to do it. They ignored my directive and had an unauthorized person do it. I was taken aback at the poor (and extremely expensive) service I received. Also, the techs aparently didn't road test my vechicle because I got it back in worse condition that it was in when I dropped it off, with the noise still present. They found about ten other things that needed to be repaired, fixed, replaced and charged me a whopping $5,000 for the repairs. One of those ten other things was the rear bearings in my transmission needed to be replaced. That alone cost me $200 for parts and $700 in labor. I took it back the next day and they stated that the clutch needed to be replaced. I paid for that too (another $600), which took two more days. Upon picking it up again, they told me that the center bearings in my transmission need to be replaced too, however that would cost me an additional $1,500. Shouldn't they pay for that repair since they initially replaced the rear bearings yet failed to recognize (or inform me until later) that my center bearings needed to be replaced as well? Very, very unprofessional service in my opinion. I opened up a complaint with SoA and they are investingating the issue. I'm considering filing a claim with the BBB as well. My advice, stay away from dealerships and go with an independent shop. It'll be worth your time and money to do so. "Certified Subaru Repair Technician" is a term that I have come to distrust wholeheartedly. I'll never go back there.

To make a long story short, I paid for a brand new rear wheel bearing and rear differential trying to fix a noise/vibration in my 2002 Outback Sport.

Almost $2000 later, and the noise is still there.

Turns out that it's "tire noise", which is kinda funny since the dealership had to replace the tires right after they sold me the car. 3 out of the 4 tires had multiple nails in them. The tires they paid Les Schwab to put on there are Hankook directionals, shich is kinda funny since directionals can only be rotated front to back and back to front.

The air filter housing was not latched properly when I bought it, causing the engine to idle kind of rough at times. Top latch was missing. After I installed the filter snugly, and latched the box properly, the rough idle disappeared.

This same dealerhsip says they do a "150 point inspection" on all the vehicles they sell. I guess they missed a few things.

In the end, I have a $60 credit for service at a dealership I will never have my car serviced at again.

This was the first and the last time I will ever buy a Subaru from a dealership.

Edited by SubPar
Spelling