Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Spliting Cylinder Block?

I found it works well to wedge a pry bar into the front main seal area, pushing against the seal so as to not damage the block. Be very careful when doing this. You can also give it a good whack with a deadblow hammer.

When reassembling, DO NOT USE RTV SILICONE!!!!! Permatex Anaerobic Sealant is the stuff to use. I can't even begin to imagine the havoc RTV could wreak if it were used in place of anaerobic sealer. It would clog the oil return passages from the outermost main bearings at least.

There was no gasket from the factory. A product called Threebond was originally used, which is now all but extinct and has been replaced by Permatex Anaerobic Sealant since.

not sure if the ea82/ER27 is similar, but the ea81 has a bolt near the middle of one of the head mounts that goes through the block. it's recessing in about 3-4", so I didn't see it. I beat the snot out of the block, and nothing. on advice from ShawnW I found that bolt and took it out, and the block split really easily....

again, this was on a ea81.....

Never torn down the 2.7 but use a general rule of thumb for all the Subaru engines. Flip it over in EVERY direction and look for bolts and remove the head gaskets from the block surfaces before trying to split it as it will hide bolts. On the bottom of ej engines theres a small bolt with a 10MM head that almost everybody tends to forget when splitting them and on the old school engines its the one McBrat mentions above.

DO NOT PRY ON ANYTHING TO SPLIT THE BLOCK.

Place a block of wood under the engine block at the seam of the sections and whack the block downward on the far corners that are nearest to you. Spin the block 180 and do the same on the other side. Also try laying it off the woodblock and pounding on the front edges of the block where the timing belt cover edges are, I tend to use the AC or ALT bracket bolt down bosses to pound on.

Remember there are dowels in the block holding the sections together and if it wont split after 5 HARD whacks you need to check for bolts again.

as previously stated, check like 5 times for bolts, doesnt matter if you think oyu got them all, there is always one last bolt that you miss, i missed 2 when i tried and fought like hell to get my EA82 block apart, granted yours is ER27 so i would imagine aobut 3-5 more bolts holding it together.

~Josh~

FINALLY!!!!!!

I was looking through the family album on my computer and decided to look through my engine rebuild pictures just for ****s and grins when I cam across a picture (a side view of the cylinder block). I almost looked at it for a few minutes when it dawned on me that these were the 2 final and extremly elusive bolts. The were just like you said recessed into the block but I thought I already got the one you were talking about.

These Bolts were in the oil jackets recessed about 2-3" below the surface on the bottom of the Cylinder block side wall where the passanger side head connects.

Once removed w/14mm socket, I wacked the cylinder head a few hard times and BAMMM! It spilt open!

Dont be a dummy like me! I am now a happy dummy!

YAYYYYY

:grin:

Scott S

05 Legacy 2.5GT

84 Brat