Ultimate Subaru Message Board

snorkle idea....

s'ko

so listen to this....

What if you got a third eye light, removed the light bulb and left the door only. Then you route a tube from the air filter to the grill.

Then you make another section of tube that connects to the outside of the door to the route it to the roof line.

Driving on road, open door for instant cold air ram intake.

Driving off road. open door for snorklelicous fun....

Seems almost worth the loss of the cool cyclops light.

hmmmmmmmmm............

BW

Oh BTW I have a spare third eye grill for those who just want to snorkle hole w/o cutting your regular grill.

Too many bends to be efficient. Besides, if you think you need a snorkle the grill is the last place you want it! Besides that even, the cops would love you for all the obstructed view tickets they would get to write.

Take it out the fender like everyone else.

Driving on road' date=' open door for instant cold air ram intake.

[/quote']

I have heard that this often isn't a good thing. The cold air is good, but the increased pressure can cause havoc with all sorts of carburettor functions....

I'm not sure whether this is a prob on these cars, but i have heard of ram air intakes drastically decreasing fuel efficiency on other carburetted vehicles.

myself i'd see if there's a snorkel kit for another car that's a close fit an just go through the fender from the filter box on fuel injected engines.

as far as carburated engines,i'm sure theres a way to hook up a intake tube to the snorkel kit.it's been awhile since i seen a carbed subaru engine,haven't owned one for awhile now.

but were there's a will,there's a way:grin:

oh yah forgot something,might want to also see about a second fender to replace the one with the hole you cut in it.;)

btw,it's gonna sound strange but when you say(third eye light) what part r u talking about??

punch it out the fender like Qman says. you can squeeze the PVC right by the charcoal canister and out the fender. i sealed the end of the fact. air box, and used the inlet from the hot air intake. the one on my '83 wagon looks like a rounder version of the safari snorkel w/a cone K+N on it. if you take the time, you can make it look really cool. :cool: plus, wrap the haggard hole you cut in the fender with edge trimming to clean it up and cover the now-exposed metal. good luck. pics will be coming sooooonn............