Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How do I access the fuel pump?

Well... my highway warrior isn't really so mighty right now. It's stranded outside the house I'm staying at, mostly because it won't start.

The big clue I have is that I don't hear the fuel pump at all. Normally when I turn the key, the fuel pump pulses until the engine starts, then runs constantly. It's very, very silent this morning.

The Chiltons I have was a waste of money and doesn't cover how the fuel pump is accessed, or where fuses for it run, or anything else. But, being a Japanese car, I'd expect there to be an access panel. This is tonight's project after work, so any advice would be appreciated. First plan is to access the fuel pump and see if it's getting power - no power, replace pump. Then I'll go from there.

So, where would one go about doing this?

-=Russ=-

it is on the pass side about 1ft infront of the tank on it plate/bracket there is 3 12mm bolts on the bottom that come and it drops down the relay is under the dash right in front of the computer ones the pump the is the switch theres a fuse in the fuse box for the pump the box is on the bottom of the dash on the drivers left. 15 amp.

The power wires to the pump may be under the rear seat on passenger side. Be sure to measure the voltage across the leads of the pump and not from one lead to ground. The pump may be on the underside of the car behind the rear passengers seat area.

You stated 'no power-replace pump', but I think you really meant 'have power'.

Besides the pump being the problem there other items to check if you have no power too it, like the pump relay and the ECU.

You should also connect the green test wires together to see if that will activate the pump.

No problem; maybe put it in your signature so its always there :)

Okay it should be the SPFI engine even though its the DL. Real easy to tell; pop the hood and look. Big huge air cleaner on top? Carb. Rubber snrokel that goes over to the air box? SPFI.

Fuel pump should be under the car, behind the passangers side seat. Look under just before your rear, right tire (passanger side) up by the main crossmember. Should see a triangular shaped metal plate extending from main crossmember. Fuel pump is straped to the top of it.

In it's current position its prone to getting hit by lots of debri, sand, mud, water, etc etc.... wouldnt supprise me if a wire rotted off there or something hit it and jared a wire loose. Take it easy pulling her off; gonna be rusty back there I bet :(

While you are down there looking at the fuel pump wiring, change the fuel filter. I know it has nothing to do with the pump not running, but it's probably never been changed because of its out of the way location so now is a good time to do it.

Thanks. I'll check that out after work. I would have tried to dive into the top of the fuel tank to find the pump, so I'm glad I asked. I'm just used to in-tank pumps. That would also explain why the pump was so darn loud - I'd never heard a fuel pump quite that loud before (actually, I've never heard a fuel pump running, and this one stands out).

It is a SPFI engine.

-=Russ=-

While you are down there looking at the fuel pump wiring, change the fuel filter. I know it has nothing to do with the pump not running, but it's probably never been changed because of its out of the way location so now is a good time to do it.

I never saw a fuel filter down there on my '88 GL :confused: Only one I have is up under the bonnet by the wiper motor..... which I should prolly change, thanks for the reminder ;)

Ok. Status update after working on it.

The fuse is OK, but there is no voltage present at the two terminals going into the pump (I was able to disconnect it with the pump on the car and measure).

I assume at this point I'm looking at the fuel pump relay... where is this and how do I test it? I looked under the dash, but I didn't see it anywhere immediately evident.

Alternately, how much current does the fuel pump draw, and what gauge wires would I need to run to it? This is Plan B if I can't get it running. Sadly, it's getting late here and parts stores are closing soon.

-=Russ=-

Ok. I've ripped apart a good chunk of the dash, and I found 4 relays located above the fuse box. Sadly, none of them match the color scheme I've been looking for (2 black/white, one blue/white, one blue/black). Is there any chance that these would be using different colors? I'm about to start jumpering connections until I (hopefully) get fuel pump power...

Are there any other relays I should be looking for, or does anyone know the position from the edge of the car? 88 DL Wagon, 1.8L SPFI.

-=Russ=-

So, I found it. You have to drop the ECU to get at the relays. Jumper the connection, and the fuel pump growls away.

Unfortunately, it still doesn't start. Does the ECU need to see voltage on the relay "drive" pin to fire the engine?

Also, while trying to jumper the correct relay, I jumpered some connections on the 4 relays just above the fusebox. Some of them seemed to hotwire the car, others did nothing, some arced lightly. Is there a chance my random screwing around fried the ECU?

-=Russ=-

Russ,

I have been through the same problem with another poster some time back. Was the fuse for the horn number 5 that you replaced? The horn fuse also powers the clock I think.

I also asked this question in your other write up so if you answer here don't bother with the other one.

Reading these last few posts was an insight to your evening :) Glad you figured it out! You are growing wise in the ways of fuel injection through this tribulation :drunk:

Heh. I can rebuild a rotary engine, tear apart half of the Subaru engine to replace a $0.50 o-ring, but I'm still not good at worming through wiring harnesses.

It runs, I'm happy. Still has plenty of things to keep me busy though.

-=Russ=-