Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Is this CV Axle Good?

I found a CV axle in my garage yesterday, looked used, but appeared pretty clean and the boots are like new (no tears or holes).

I grabbed the (outer) end and twisted and turned it as if I was making a sharp turn, didn't feel any popping or "crunching".

If it were bad, would it feel like there's something broken inside while "working" it?

yeah, smack it good, not tap tap tap... use a block of wood to protect the threads......

installation sometimes requires a bit of fooling around....

frequently ya have to use the nut to pull the axel into the bearings.

then once you have enough thread showing you can stick the conical washer back on and really tighten that nut... iirc its 145 foot pounds....

but you can go about as tight as you can get it.

doubtful you would strip the nut or the axel...

sometimes they are a biznotch...on the RX and wagon...once the nut is off, they just slide right out/in. If you clean the cooked grease/varnish off the bearing surfaces on the axle it helps a TON in getting the axles in and out. SUBARU has a special tool for pulling them in...and pushing them out...but they are rather large and probably expensive.

you can take a rubber mallet and pound on the edge the the boot and turn the axle at the same time to press it back into the spindle. I always grease the hell out of the bearing and spindle space after I get the old axle out. Another way to do it, if its a really right squeeze is put the axle in a vice, up the spindle on the axle shaft and pound the spindle DOWN onto the axle. (this requires removing the tierod and balljoint from the spindle.)

then just line to the pin holes on the inner doj to the tranny, slide that on first, pry down on the control arm get the ball joint in, pry the strut back into place bolt it down, pop the tire rod in done deal.. this way makes it easier if you are doing it outside and the axles are cold along with the grease