Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea82 ea82t clutch differences

is there any difference between the clutchs from a N/A ea82 and a ea82turbo?

That is my question exactly.... I ordered a complete clutch kit from ebay for a 1.8 turbo and the seller (a clutch reseller) told me that the 4WD loyale non turbo and the 1.8 turbo used the same clutch. I'll find out in a few days.

That is my question exactly.... I ordered a complete clutch kit from ebay for a 1.8 turbo and the seller (a clutch reseller) told me that the 4WD loyale non turbo and the 1.8 turbo used the same clutch. I'll find out in a few days.

i would rather like to know as im leaveing in about an hour to drive 150 miles to pickup a EJ-unknown at this stage, if its a ej18 or ej20 n/a then i could probibly get away with the clutch i've got now (ea81) and a grippier clutch disc however if it is turbo ej20 or an ej22 i think im gonna need some more bite

but hey the ej donk is free so im not complaining

• 3 months later...

Hey LPGSuperChargedBrumby --

You and vanagonfan probably know the answers to your question by now, but I thought I'd offer some additional input for what it's worth.

If part numbers are any indication, the clutch sets at ThePartsBin.com for a N/A ea82 and a ea82turbo are exactly the same. Which would seem to confirm what MilesFox and calebz say regarding clutch disc interchange.

I've just started looking for a clutch kit to install when we replace the 5sp tranny in our son's '87 4x4 5sp 1.8L GL-10 turbo wagon [with 4x4 engage pushbutton on the shift lever] and found two clutch sets at ThePartsBin.com: $166.83 for Japan/OEM or $148.38 for Japan/Paruaut

Here's ThePartsBin link to the clutch kit page for the '87 turbo wagon:

http://oem.thepartsbin.com/parts/thepartsbin/wizard.jsp?year=1987&make=SU&model=LOY-4WDT-001&category=All&part=Clutch+Kit

And here's link to clutch kit for our '86 carbed 4x4 5sp 1.8L GL wagon:

http://oem.thepartsbin.com/parts/thepartsbin/wizard.jsp?year=1986&make=SU&model=LOY-4WD-001&category=All&part=Clutch+Kit

Note the part numbers, pictures, and prices are all the same.

I also found that the clutch kit part numbers are the same for both these cars at Autozone.com.

I'm concluding the release bearings, pressure plates, and discs are the same for both cars. But then maybe I'm getting a bit senile these days... 8-)

Josh [ballitch], you might be able to find an answer using a similar "separate model part search" approach at your favorite online source... just a thought.

Later, Rick

PS: Have any of you purchased a clutch kit from either ThePartsBin.com or Autozone.com? How are they? Pretty good? Do they include the pilot bearing? Release bearing clips?

I looked at AutopartsGiant, which often has lowest parts prices, but couldn't make head nor tails of their clutch kit listings - confusing... to me, anyway.

thanks for the info, as it happens i've been too busy with work to much time into my motor swap and i haven't got the clutch parts i need yet(apart from the fly wheel) so some definitive part #'s is all good.

ohh and i haven't bought any thing from the the partsbin or autozone coz the shipping to here would kill any price advantage.

I do know that the input shaft is a different size and spline count between the 2wd and 4wd 5spds, and the pilot bearing is different. The flywheel seems to be the same though(If I remember right....).

I learned that the hard way($$$$).

Don

the only differenent clutch disc for the big ea82 disc is the xt6. it fits the same but it has two extra springs, and they are beefier than the 4 cylinder discs.

i think the pressure plate is what gives the xt6 clutch the real holding power. the extra springs on the disc, just soak up more of the big motors inertia when letting the pedal out.