Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Intake Gaskets

Only unplug/unbolt/remove what is absolutly necessary. Basicly you can just push the intake manifold back up out of the way leaving most everything attached to it as a whole assembly. Really helps cut down on time. Oh get that silly spare tire out of the way if you haven't already :)

the most important thing about this is removing the bolts. sometimes they are hard to turn due to corrosion, be caeful not to twist them off!

use slow and even torque to loosen them, be careful as you dont want to turn the bolt faster than it can unthread. it may feel like its turning but really the bolt is flexing, so be careful. if the bolys give you a hard time work them back and forth to clean the threads off as it comes out.

use anti-seize on the threads, clean the treads off with a brush, i find a wire wheel works best, but you can use your fingernail and turn the bolt to clear the threads if you dont have many tools

i would recommend not bothering with the intake gaskets if there is nothing wrong, unless you are experienced enough to know what to expect about the bolts. i have broken a few myself so i know what to expect. but you dont want to develop your learning curve on your daily! practice on junk motors or at the junkyard till you get the technique down. you might have to actually break one to know how much torque is too much