Ultimate Subaru Message Board

how much power the air conditione takes?

hi

how much power the air condition takes?

i'm talking about subaru leone 'with original air condition, how much power does it takes from the engine without operate it, i mean , just when the all air system is under the hood-connecting to the engine with belt.

does someone take out all the air condition system out from the engine? does it makes any different?

thank you all for your fast answer.

moshe.

I tore mine out cause I don't need it, and it does limit the air reaching your rad a bit. As for power I'd guess about a 1-3hp max, that's only about 2000 watts of cooling which sounds close I think.

[edit] Looks like I didn't read the without it running part:o

When the air conditioning is not operating it is just like a belt idler/tensioner; the only resistance is from the bearings. There is no significant power usage.

The air conditioning system does have weight, and that will affect your acceleration.

If your system still has pressurized refrigerant (R12) be VERY careful working with it so as to avoid eye injury of other freezing injury. It is also illegal in the USA to vent the R12 to the atmosphere.

Is your air conditioning currently not working? If it is still working, please consider that the defroster function uses the air conditioner to help remove mist from the windscreen.

the airpump itself weighs about 15 pounds. With the AC lines, the whole system prolly weighs about 30 pounds. It lowers fuel econ by about 10% if you use the A/C.

Northwet - yeah it may be illegal, but so is running a car with out a cat. how many people do we have doin that here? Just vent it out... crack the 4 12 mm bolts on the airpump and walk away from 10 minutes.. DO this outside. Freon is deadly, I had a friend die from exposure this summer on a fishing boat.

.. Northwet - yeah it may be illegal, but so is running a car with out a cat. how many people do we have doin that here? Just vent it out... crack the 4 12 mm bolts on the airpump and walk away from 10 minutes.. DO this outside. Freon is deadly, I had a friend die from exposure this summer on a fishing boat.

The venting of R12 releases a persistant ozone-destroying material into the environment. In the grand scheme of things, it is many orders of magnitude (3-5?) worse than driving without exhaust emission controls present and functioning. The personally sad part is that during my 2 years working in a radiator and A/C shop I must have released a hundred pounds or so of R12 into the environment. :(

Fishing boats, at least the larger commercial ones, use ammonia as their refrigerant rather than a freon, and even if they do use a freon it is not R12 but one that is better suited to lower temperatures. Most clorofluorocarbon refrigerants are not normally poisonous, R12 included. To the extent that they replace oxygen they are deadly due to the risk of suffocation. R12 does produces a deadly gas if burned. The greatest direct danger with venting comes from freezing injuries.

The venting of R12 releases a persistant ozone-destroying material into the environment. In the grand scheme of things, it is many orders of magnitude (3-5?) worse than driving without exhaust emission controls present and functioning. The personally sad part is that during my 2 years working in a radiator and A/C shop I must have released a hundred pounds or so of R12 into the environment.

R-12 is several thousand times worse for the environment than anything you put out through a catless exhaust. It is not only a gas that holds in heat (greenhouse style) it also reacts chemically with the ozone, reducing the amount in a substantial way - had AP Enviro sci last year (that's how I know) - and yes I have vented R-12 systems before, but not recently - I converted to R-134a - bad JY compressor, so it didn't last long - worked for me as well as R-12 - just do it so that you can go to Kmart and pay $4.00 a bottle, instead of scrounging for the stuff

BTW How much power the A/C system takes depends on compressor - Panisonic takes little power, but not as good nor reliable as the Hitachi, which takes a lot of power - I originally had a Hitachi on my car, switched to a Panisonic (which blew) and am now switching back to a Hitachi.

The Hitachi's are also rebuildable.

Bit offtopic but a catless exhuast does produce chemiicals that react to from ozone (03) :rolleyes: But its pretty deadly stuff for us if its not a few miles up in the sky gettin rid of uv.

Still off-topic...

Yeah, sort of ironic that what we need in the upper atmosphere is deadly/corrosive to life at the bottom. BTW, I suspect that the various electric motors in our cars produce more O3 than the engine itself. Virtually any high-energy electric discharge in the presence of oxygen creates it.

...return on-topic

Folks, I think that Moshe was more interested in drag while the A/C is off than what it requires when it is on. Though I personally am interested in the drag while on... 85Sub4WD, where did you get your info comparing the Hitachi to the Panasonic? And what are their respective design types?

we could all blow all of our ac into the atmosphere, and gut our cats, and still not compete with all of the gigantic suvs that the majority of the public demands

the junkyards are supposed to recover all of the refrigerant... i stopped taking that for granted the first time a subaru squirted its freeze juice all over my hand.

i hate it when work makes me damage the environment...:(

you can feel the loss of power that the ac leeches, but the real drag is the condensor, blowing hot air on your already hot radiator! i swear ac can put a dying subaru over the edge.