Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Still Problems, no Cures

The story is as follows,.. Slight overheat (didn't boil), wouldn't idle , week later > Cat converter Blocked, gutted it, Swapped fuel float, Still runs like POO!!! and also clicks down the exhaust (a small backfire i think) on de-acceleration.

What the hell happened to a car that 2 weeks ago ran like a dream?????

Any suggestions are welcome

Welcome to Hitachi carb world - that's how mine went - I converted to SPFI and I am NOT looking back.

Another possibility is that your T-belt slipped a tooth (very unusual) or your timing is off (more common)

I would also replace your t-stat with an OEM 180 - degree one

The exhaust noise is probably caused by the ASV valves - those can be plugged.

I was talking to a mechanic the other day and he suggested a blocked idle jet.

so i will pull off the cover and clean it out

I have removed the exhaust air injector and plugged the hole, but my exhaust gasket is shot and leaks.

It runs fine at speed, just wont idle.

Im considering a SPFI conversion, but i need more money, the wreckers wanted $120 for the Throttle body and $150 for the ECU

I was also looking at a MPFI swap

Sounds like someone tore through it like a bull in a China shop.

Might I suggest a little more patience and attention to detail?

Actually - I had identical probs, and my carb turned out to have 1/4'' of sludge in the bottom of it - never did get it to run right after that

In my expierence, the shape of a carb has fairly little to do with how its been driven, and more to do with the gas that has been run through it - with the exception of a carb that is at WOT a lot

Bad exhaust gaskets will hurt performance.

I think that is a definate possibility too

The story is as follows,.. Slight overheat (didn't boil), wouldn't idle , week later > Cat converter Blocked, gutted it, Swapped fuel float, Still runs like POO!!! and also clicks down the exhaust (a small backfire i think) on de-acceleration.

What the hell happened to a car that 2 weeks ago ran like a dream?????

Any suggestions are welcome

The fact that your convertor became blocked shortly after the idle problems began is strongly suggestive of unburnt fuel entering the exhaust from a leaky carb float valve.

Originally Posted by naru

The fact that your convertor became blocked shortly after the idle problems began is strongly suggestive of unburnt fuel entering the exhaust from a leaky carb float valve.

That was my first guess

But the mechanic that looked at it say'd it was idleing lean.

as soon as i get some time on my hands i will pull it off and have a look

My Justy did that after i put a FI cleaner product for SUV's into the tank... treated all 35 gallons in my 9 gallon tank, cleaned all the crud from 7 years of sitting in to the fuel filter in about 20 minutes and there i sat. It would run fine, run like death, and quit... repeat.

The car did run hot due to a lean condition and blew the head gasket.