Ultimate Subaru Message Board

the gl-10 rx wagon goes CRUNCH

no pictures yet, there is 6" of snow here, at 8am this morning a 2000 olds alero ran a stop sign and got in my way, i was doing 25 mph, had no time to brake, i was in fulltime 4low, with the difff locked, like i said 6" of snow and more coming, i hit the olds in the passenger front door, totaly crushing the entire pass side, the door was pushed so far in the the passenger front seat was folded in half, the olds is totaled but was able to be driven away, the guy got a ticket for failure to yeild and is totally insured, now for the rx wagon, not that bad actually, driverside marker and turn signal busted, hood, both fenders, bumper, grill, all busted, headlights ok, radiator is ok as i have electric fans, the motor will not start, i think it jumped timing, is there a fuel cut??, the front is pushed in, the electric fan is 1/8th from the water pump pulley but no interference, the driverside rad hose might have pushed the timing cover but i couldn't tell as the hood would not go up, the frame rails ahead of the strut towers is tweaked to the passenger side about 2-3 inches, maybe less, there is no damage past the strut towers, and doors back including windshield are good, nada says my cars is worth 2600.00, high retail, and it is a very solid clean car, there is also no damage to the suspension or driveline, wheels are untouched,anybody delt with insurance companys on fixing there older subarus, are they going to total my car?? i am not giving up now, i spent the last year and a half building it and it was supposed to get painted next week, DAMN, i promise to all you guys i will not give up!!, but just to get the jump on things i need a hood, fenders, grill, trim, bumper, in great shape, no rust, no damge, i dont mind little dings, but nothing more than hail damage please, would prefer parts in virginia, so i could just pick them up, i have a front sub frame, thats perfect, but i need the body parts, any help out there??????? oh and last night i installed 2 6.5 subs in the rear cargo spot in the floor and a 50 x2 amp in the driverside stow hold, works great, i need a radio plate for the dash any body got one, to hold a single din cd player????

Prepare yourself… they’re gonna total it. You might be able to negotiate an “owner repair” and avoid a branded title. Or fight for a good price and let them total it, then buy it back and use the extra cash to buy a new shell with a clean title and make one from the two. In any case it’s a big bummer, glad your ok though.

Gary

Estes j/y between C'burg and Floyd on Daniels Run road had a nice 87ish turbo wagon in there not too long ago. (no LSD BTW)

Reed's Garage on 221 from Roanoke to Floyd deals with Subarus fairly consistantly, try him too. He might have a line on one. 540-929-4236.

Part's Unlimited in Vinton, Va. had several Ea82 cars last I checked.

I've got to go to the J/Y this week I'll look for you.

Sorry to hear about your car.

Jay

would prefer parts in virginia

They'll total it - been there twice with the same car!

Hal's Parts and Service ( www.halspartsandservice.com ) is not in Virginia, but in Spara, NC so he's close. He runs a Soob-only service/parts place, and he is great to work with.

Sorry to hear about it - amazing how much damage the Alero took from the impact - and I saw an ad from GM last night advertizing the safety of their cars :rolleyes:

Hope all goes well - trust me, you can do the repairs, soobs are easy to bolt/unbolt stuff on - been there.

My mom obliterated some car that pulled out the wrong way on her when she was going 45mph, had to have front frame (mounting for headlights and other crap) cut off and another welded on. That was a pain (had to go to shop), but if you only have panels damaged, don't worry.

buy it back and fix it, or like they said find a good shell, but our cars are old enough that a branded title doesnt' do much to hurt it's value, I'm sure Mike could get $1500+ for his 87 GL with or without the branded title :-P It's when you have a 2001 Outback witha branded title that the value plummets...

ok the rx wagon is dead, for the moment, the damage to the frame is way to intense to fix, need new chassis, gl-10 wagon with mint body if anyboady sees one, the cam gear was bent to hell, the timing belt trashed, and the covers cracked up, all on disty side of motor, all has been repaired and engine is fine, nothing besides the frame and engine was damaged, every small part was ok, rad, a/c, ect, all ok, but car is retired becouse of frame

found a guy that wants to sell his loyale, just found out its a sedan though. but it looks to be in great condition.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?p=254574#post254574

there is the link to his thread, until this morning, i though he had a wagon, but turns out its a sedan, but looks cherry. if i find any nice wagons, ikll let you know.