Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Favorite 5 sp DR medicine recipies

I would like to here everybodies favorite recipies for quiteing down and slicken' up old, notchy 5 speeds.

I know that Redline is popular. Which one? Or which mixes?

Other synthetics?

Lighter?

Heavier?

(are there rebuild kits availiable for these?)

I'm not interested in what folks put in transmissions that are still in good shape, even if it may increase longevity.

Just what folks are doing to try to get old, tired ones to act nicer.

Thanks,

Pyro

im thinking of putting in a quart of ATF for about a 100 miles or so, then refilling with a fully synthetic 75w-140 form walmart, think its supertech or something, like $8 a quart. thats what ima do soon, 3rd gear gets kinda picky sometimes, anyone else have another good suggestion?

~Josh~

im thinking of putting in a quart of ATF for about a 100 miles or so, then refilling with a fully synthetic 75w-140 form walmart, think its supertech or something, like $8 a quart. thats what ima do soon, 3rd gear gets kinda picky sometimes, anyone else have another good suggestion?

~Josh~

Hey, I'm wondering what yer thinkin is on using 75/140. instead of the lighter weight that Soob recomends. Is to help "cushin" things internally? Do you think going heavier like that helps? I think Soob says to use 75/90. I been wondering if heavier like that would help with the notchyness.

Pyro

the thing about synthetic is it will thicken up at higher temps like its supposed to, at lower operating temps like in city putt putt driving its not as demanding as say off-roading or mudding or high speed car-chase-like highway speeds were the gears are going a million miles an hour, rislone is another good idea i didnt think of that, might not "clean" out the tranny, might damage something also......hmmmm..........ya the 75w-140 is just the same minimum weight oil with extra headroom.....at least thats how i see it...:brow:

~josh~

theres no carbon in there, its just metal shavings, i dont think you realy need to clean it out. just drain it. and fill it with good oil, usualyhelps alot.

i have mobil1 gearlube inone of my 5 speeds.

and i have redline in my 4 speed.

some 5 speeds just suck forever tho, i have one that wont go into first untill your completely stopped, even with double clutching.

now that i think about it... a guy at redline told me to run the atf redline fluid in the 5 speed, forever.

I don't get trying to clean these older manual trans with Riselone and stuff. Like has been said, cutting is all that is in them. Flushing with gear oil is good though.

I know that later model MT's are designated to run on ATF. But I'd personally be scared to try that with these 1/2 worn out MT's. Seems to me that heavier (only a little) might be better than lighter. ATF seems (to me) WAY to light. I want CUSHIONING in there. Something to take up the slack that has been created by wear.

Sounds like synthetic is the best bet, but I wonder how much difference it will really make with a 1/2 worn out tranny.

I put redline in one that was REALLY notchy. Felt like a new trans for a 1/2 a day. Then back to nearly shot.

Can these be rebuilt? Junk yard tranny are a crapshoot at best. (unless it's from a low milage wreck, and those are hard to find I think)

Are parts availiable for the older MT's?

Pyro