Ultimate Subaru Message Board

cold air

My 86 subaru gl wagon EA 82 all wheel drive carbed engine runs really well when the temp out side is around 20 to 30 f and when i keep the fuel tank above about 1/2. fuel filter 5 months old. The temp gauge stays in the middle no matter what the outside temp is. oil about 35 (sometimes) mostly on 15 to 20. charge is good spark plugs less then a year, wires less then a year, cap and rotor new. Old worn hitachi carb but still idles and runs good. so my question is why when its colder does it run better. oh altitude is 1000 ft, humidity usaly hi in northeast pennsylvania. also 185000 miles on a rappy engine. icon11.gif

Cold air is denser air. :-p The denser the air, the more fuel can be mixed with it. The bigger the explosion is. But, how bad does it run with "warm" air. My brain just died...i was gunna ask some more questions...but I just blanked out...damn A.D.D.

[HTi]Johnson

it dosent run to bad but i dont have the pic up and fuel milage when its warm like when its cold. does the tic of death have anything to do with power loss?

it dosent run to bad but i dont have the pic up and fuel milage when its warm like when its cold. does the tic of death have anything to do with power loss?

Possibly - I would make sure you are using a heavy enough oil in warm weather - if your pump seals are starting to go maybe 15w-40 is a good idea in warm weather

What you are describing sounds like adjustment issues - probably your choke is too far open, or you have an idle that is too rich - timing is yet another possiblilty - I had to adjust the carb and timing once a month to keep my car in top shape - why I converted to SPFI

welcome to the world or hicrappy carbs...

Mine does the same thing. Runs great right about freezing temp. Time for the SPFI upgrade. Good thing snowman is coming up here, and he doesnt know hes getting conned into doing the conversion on my car

thank you all for the feed back will try adjusting the choke and air fuel mix and the timing. When the car was in Arizonia i had the timing advanced a little and it ran great in all temps.Tried all of the liquid cures for the tapping none have worked guess its time for a re seal! How long will it run before the T.O.D kills the engine?icon9.gif

I have read on here that you can do a SPFI conversion on the carb models. What is involved? How hard is it? Do you have to buy new, or can you get used and refurbish? I have a junk yard by me that has a few Soobs on hand, and I think that they are all SPFI.

TOD wont kill an engine.. Unless your oil pump stops working

as long as the oil pressure gauge moves, you are fine. I drove my wagon for 3 years.. VERY hard driving and then threw a new pump on it.. runs like its brand new