Ultimate Subaru Message Board

welding turbo and air intake on a carb?

i dont think the carb will handle the boost. they where manufactured to have vacuum in then and never possitive pressure (boost). you could give it a try, but a better idea would to convert to efi. Get a spfi harness, manifold and an aftermarket ecu. Hook it all up. Also the problem with turboing a N/A block is the high compression ratio this will make you ping when you try to dial up the boost.

you have to either have the carb before the turbo or enclose the carb in a 'box' that is at boost pressure (for the reasons stated above).

You can get special seal kits for some carbs for big chevys and so on, nut they are expensive and you wouldnt find one for a small carb like that.

I am thinking about making a fitting to put my friends old turbo from an laser and adding a air intake onto my 1.8 87 gl carb. WIll this work and/or would it be bad for my car?

you could make a drawthru setup with the turbo sucking thru the carb but you would have ensure that the turbo has a oil seal on the inlet side that can withstand vacuum as well as pressure.

another way i have heard of it being done is to use a carb with the butterflys removed with the turbo drawing thru it and having a turbo type throttle body after the turbo

LPG is not far wrong, the best way to utilize a carb and turbo combo is to have the carb on the suction side of the turbo (draw through), this requires the least bits of modification. You can blow through a carb, but there are more mods required. One way is as suggested, build a box around the carb and pressurize that box with the turbo, Another way is to drill holes at 90 degrees to the trottle shaft into the carb body where the trottle shaft passes through, you will then need to add a small piece of brass tubing to the hole. Now you will have to bleed off some of the pressurized air before the carb and pipe it to those tubes that you have added to each side of the trottle shaft housing. This will pressurize the trottle shaft and will not allow blow by.