Ultimate Subaru Message Board

82 Subaru GL Wagon - Should I Buy?

Need another car, and was thinkin about gettin a subaru waggon, here's one i found, and wanted to know some of ya'al professional opinion on it. Is it worth looking at? what's the life expectancy on the engine's? it has 260k on it, but 'may' have had the engine (or tranny) replaced. It's $500, is that a decent price for this? Here's the link to the ad, and the text to the ad itself, if you dont like to click links. Thanks

http://seattle.craigslist.org/car/63602687.html

-------------------The AD------------------------------

almost hate to part with this car, but it has to go, I have no room in my driveway. This is a 2WD car.

I bought this car about 3 or 4 years ago and it has never let me down. It starts easily, every time, and runs very smooth especially considering milage (260K). You can drive at 70 or 75 on the freeway - passing new sports cars is fun. I drove this car 3000 miles in about a month two summers ago, on a road trip through the southwest. This car did not overheat in the mohave desert!

The car has some body damage which was repaired by the previous owner with bondo and primer. It isn't pretty but there is no rust (see pics). All the glass is ok.

The good:

*runs well, starts every time

*new tabs, good until 5-2006 (yes, good for over a year)

*new brake pads up front

*replaced front calipers (from junkyard, but they should last a while)

*no split CV boots

*repacked pass. side drive bearings

*replaced ball joint front pass. side

*replaced hub front pass. side

*regular oil changes

*ok tires - no need to replace

*either the engine or tranny was replaced. I don't remember what the previous owner said - I would guess it's the engine based on how well it runs.

*tilt wheel

The bad:

*if you turn the fan on, it will only blow warm/hot air. For cool air you open the windows or put it on vent which provides some cool air at road speed

*key does not work on passenger side door. You can still lock/unlock this door from inside

*intermittent wiper doesnt work. Just low and high speeds

*oil pressure guage is inconsistent. When it was working I was seeing 70-75psi. Just check the oil every couple tanks of gas and you'll be fine.

*seat wear consistent with age. It's ok, but not great. No tears tho.

*No stereo. I did have a CD player in it and it's still wired. Only two speakers up front, and there are wires to the back, but no speakers.

The ugly:

*the exterior. Like I said there are some dents and some primer.

I think this is a great solid car for a new driver or someone who wants a work car or cheap reliable transportation. These engines are known to last a long time, and that's been my experience with it. When I was on that road trip, I was getting consistently 35 or 36 mpg. Since then I can't say because I have been driving other cars. I would recommend replacing the O2 sensor which, for my 88 subaru, was only $20 bucks.

I am available most of today and weeknights to show the car. Priority goes to people who can come today, but people who email first get dibs thereafter. 3mMj4s3hAVS2c6lT7SWaRSq0usBP.jpgPH0f5m2o757aqFvvoyAszaxzM6Xr.jpgQqrX5EkhqkphmD8mXvVBVxSE5Nz5.jpg

------------------------------------------------------

Honestly I think you could find a 4WD car for that price and that age/mileage. Kelley Blue Book doesn't go back to '82, but is says for an '85 of that age/mileage is only worth about $375. I personally wouldn't buy a 2WD car (and is it a 4sp or auto tranny?). I think $400 would be more reasonable in my opinion though. But, in the PNW, Subura's are pretty easy to find.......

It's a personal choice though. If it's worth it to you, that's what matters!

hmm - I wonder if it's had a tranny swap and not motor swap then - I've not seen a Subaru that age with a 5 speed before (but I could be wrong!).

these engines are super reliable if they haven't been abused with neglecting to put anti-freeze in them or overheating them (the problem with my car from it's previous owner so I had to put a different engine in).

Ya get what you pay for though. I wouldn't expect miracles from a car with that many miles, but that is some darn good gas mileage they reported! I've never gotten over 30mpg with any of the Soob's I've had. 26mpg in town usually and 30 highway/freeway driving. ALWAYS use super unleaded - never regular (they sound like DOO-DOO on regular unleaded in my experience).

And difference between 2WD and 4WD is just that - the 4WD you can use in 2WD (front wheel drive) or 4WD - if you do *any* off-roading, hunting, etc, then a 4WD is wonderful. I will use 4WD if I drive in my lawn even just so I don't leave peel-out marks (although this year the yard is pretty dry, so I don't have to worry about that so much).

I'd opt for a four wheel drive model myself, I have 2, an 83 and 84, and I love em. Five speeds were availiable in the 2wd model, and I have an 81 parts car with one in it, GL-5 model, you can also put a Loyale tranny in the EA81 cars, but you need a custom X-member and driveline to do it right, my 83 has 224K,and is still running strong, so with frequent maintenance it should still have a lot of life left in it, I wouldn't pay more than 250-300 dollars myself-I got my 83 for 150 and it is 4 wheel drive.

This is really funny to find this here cause that's MY ad - I am selling the car.

I didn't put in the ad that the previous owner bought it when it was 3 yrs old and owned it for 16 years. He took good care of it (mechanically) and I did a few more things to it since I bought it.

Since you're obviously doing your research, I'll give you some more info about it. When I bought this car I started using it to deliver pizzas. Ok, so pizza delivery can be hard on a car, right? Well I always made sure it had oil and coolant and I never had a problem. Regular oil changes too. It had an exhaust leak when I bought it and I drove it like that for a while, recently I had the leaky part TIG welded (thank you craigslist) and now it runs quiet again.

While I was on said road trip, there were many days I traveled 350+ miles stopping only to eat or go swimming. Again, the car was fine, and it didn't overheat when I was driving from LA to vegas and it was 122 degrees in Baker, CA. You can easily find CHEAP parts for these cars at the Pull-A-Part junkyard in lynnwood (or everett). I got those brake calipers there for $6.50, axle shafts are $18.50.

Basically I think it's a solid car and cheap too. I'm flexible on the price, I expect to haggle whenever I buy or sell on craigslist. Anyway... you're all entitled to an opinion, but if you're interested in the car just come test drive it and see if you like it.

PS the O2 sensor is basically ON the cat on this car. If you aren't a mechanical guy just buy the part and I will install it for you pre-sale. I'll haggle a little less, of course :-)

Yeah it's too much money for that car. I had one that is in as good or better shape with less mileage given to me last night. He mentions replacing the O2 sensor, but an '82 won't even have one. :lol:

Well, there is one. Sorry but you're misinformed. It looks more like a spark plug though, the wire is not attached to the sensor, it plugs on almost exactly like a spark plug.

Well, there is one. Sorry but you're misinformed. It looks more like a spark plug though, the wire is not attached to the sensor, it plugs on almost exactly like a spark plug.

Weird, I just looked and my '81 and '83 wagons don't have them. Neither do my '85 or '88 hatchbacks. There aren't even bungs in the exhaust where one would plug in.

Edit: Just looked in my service manuals and I see nothing about an o2 sensor on cars that were carburated.

ya know, for some reason i figured you'd eventualy see this :D.. seeings that you've got 2 in your yard and all...

I will probably be up there today to test drive it, hopefully the traffic wont be too bad (yea right). Thanks for the info...

I sent you a PM with phone #

Weird, I just looked and my '81 and '83 wagons don't have them. Neither do my '85 or '88 hatchbacks. There aren't even bungs in the exhaust where one would plug in.

Edit: Just looked in my service manuals and I see nothing about an o2 sensor on cars that were carburated.

That is totally weird. I assume this is the original exhaust on the car because of the rust induced leaks that were present when I bought it. However I went to the junkyard looking for parts and found a complete exhaust, with the cat, so I bought it. This is unusual because it's illegal for the junkyard to sell used cats. Anyway, there was no place in that exhaust set up for an O2 sensor. It didn't fit on my car so I used it for scrap.

I do remember that the car I pulled it from was a 4WD model while I have 2WD. Is it possible that only the 2WD drive cars of this era had the O2 sensors? It is carbuerated BTW

That is totally weird. I assume this is the original exhaust on the car because of the rust induced leaks that were present when I bought it. However I went to the junkyard looking for parts and found a complete exhaust, with the cat, so I bought it. This is unusual because it's illegal for the junkyard to sell used cats. Anyway, there was no place in that exhaust set up for an O2 sensor. It didn't fit on my car so I used it for scrap.

I do remember that the car I pulled it from was a 4WD model while I have 2WD. Is it possible that only the 2WD drive cars of this era had the O2 sensors? It is carbuerated BTW

Two of mine are 2wd and the other 2 are 4wd. I wonder if yours has a y-pipe from a ea82 on it. Good luck with the sale, give a fellow board member a good deal. :brow:

Two of mine are 2wd and the other 2 are 4wd. I wonder if yours has a y-pipe from a ea82 on it. Good luck with the sale, give a fellow board member a good deal. :brow:

upon closer inspection I am pretty sure it was the engine that was replaced, and I am pretty sure it's not an EA82 Y-pipe because the down pipes are not the same height (on the pass. side there is a bracket mounted between the block and the down pipe, driver side there isn't). I was told at a subaru-only junkyard that this was an 82 special (1982, not EA82) and that all the other soobs were different.

If it were an EA82 exhaust on an EA81 engine, what would the other end of the wire go to?

Anyway, phychotron bought the car and I hope it gives him many happy miles:D

Hey, just a thought, are you sure its an o2 sensor and not an exhaust temperature probe? My '81 has a light on the dash for one, so they must have come on some models.

Well I'm not "sure" because I never bought the O2 sensor to replace it and noted that the parts matched, so I guess it could be. However, I did replace the O2 sensor on my 88 and it was installed in exactly the same place and at the same angle into the cat as this thingy is in the 82's cat.

Is it possible that this is something like a glow plug to help the cat burn excess fuel? Of course I can't go look at it now because it's sold but this makes me all kinds of curious.

And why would they install a temperature probe in the exhaust? (obviously to see how hot it is, but why would that matter?)

Many cars use an air injection system with an air pump. Some of these systems are designed to bypass the air from the pump back to the air cleaner when the cat gets too hot, preventing the cat from getting even hotter yet. I know this because that's the way the air injection system on my Toyota works. I don't recall ever seeing a Subaru with an air pump, but that doesn't mean anything.

I don't know much about Subaru emission systems, but I have owned several EA81s, and there is much difference from year to year with all the different emissions systems. I don't recall ever seeing a probe in any of my cats, but that doesn't mean anything either.

And why would they install a temperature probe in the exhaust? (obviously to see how hot it is, but why would that matter?)

It brings up a light on the dash when the exhaust/cat overheats. I spose its so you dont start catching fire or something!