Ultimate Subaru Message Board

making my GL faster

and oh yeah..... what exactly is the difference between ohc and ohv?

right now i just want some power to pass with. when I get a full time job though, i will think about putting alot more mods on it. I really don't know much about cars, I never have any time to. I work 40 hours a week on top of being a senior... but this summer I'll finally be free. I only make $5.75 an hour, so I can barely afford to pay for gas and insurance being that gas is $2.00 a gallon just for medium... once I save up more money I'll add a turbo, and whatever else needs to be done with that. How long would it take me to put a weber carb on it? and oh yeah, i found out how much a freakin carburetor was. $460.00!!! shat... lol. maybe i won't even get that yet, i dunno. I just want a little extra oomph so i can pass some Hondas, that's all. I don't wanna make it a speed demon, I just want a well-rounded off road, but not too slow wagon. I don't really want a byb kit cuz that would just make the car that much worse on axles. but I do want good sound, and at least 10 more pound feet of torque. moving from a Honda with 140 lb ft of torque to a subie with only about 95 is kinda getting on my nerves.

well i was refering to EJ as in newer generation subaru engines(legacy's impreza's..)..way more power than the old ones, better reliabilty, etc..

so if you want more power i would say dont even bother with the old engines. MS refers to MegaSquirt..it is a cheap engine management system

Gee thanks Brad. :rolleyes:

TWE is TechWorksEngineering in Canada. They make custom purpose built exhaust and other engine components. They made a limited production run of EA82T headers and downpipes...they are also developing a turbo cam.

WRX is the "base model" turbo Impreza. Its got a 2.0 Liter DOHC engine. 227 HP.

TMIC is Top Mount InterCooler. The WRX TMIC is a great upgrade for the turbo EA82 engines.

EJ is the newer 16 valve engines that subaur started development in 1984, and they came out in 1989. EJ15, 16, 18, 20x(G, K, T, 5, 7, etc....)22E, 22T, 22G, 25D, 251, 253, 255, 257, are all variants of the EJ series of engines. They range from 1.5 liters of displacement, to 2.5, and are found in SOHC and DOHC versions...as well as just your basic econo engine, to high performance N/A...to econo turbo to high performance turbo.

MPFI is Mult Port Fuel Injection....bascially having 1 fuel injector for each cylider of the engine.

MAF is Mass Ait Flow sensor....it feeds the engine computer a voltage signal bases on air flow...and the computer calculates how much air is flowing and how much fuel to give the engine.

• 5 years later...

I have to agree that the idea of 'making your GL faster isn't going to work too well. They just weren't designed for speed. But they do well on a lot of other things, such as:

The time I was off road near Mount Rainier , a few miles out of the park border. This guy came along in a nearly-new Toyota 4wd pickup. He had some camping gear in the back, but just an average amount. He was trying to get up this REALLY steep gravel road to a prime camping spot. He kept going up, he kept sliding back down. :lol:

So I just wait. I know that camping spot, too. Finally, he slides back down for the last time and turns the truck around. "Yeah," he says, "you can't make it up there, I guess..."

Right. I already had it in four-low range. I walked right up that hill without slipping a tire once. He just watched with his mouth hanging open...:banana:

Fun weekend up there. No one bothered me.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey now, be nice to the poor slow subs. Im trying to make mine "fast" but fast is all relative. As long as it doesnt blow up while Im tuning it, it will be "fast". Or at least thats what ive been told :rolleyes:

WJM, im trying to beat your power levels, just friendly competition, but I dont know if it will work. We will see, and dont hold your breath. Since I just got the turd running. Actually I wouldnt even call it a competition, you made me aspire to making a faster EA.

Is there a medal yet for getting the highest power out of an EA-82T? There better be one just incase someone cracks the record. :)

Subaru_dude, what are you driving now?

And even if a Honda beats you. Your car is still cooler than theirs.

Edited by beataru
Sleepyneseses