Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Whats What with these old Subarus ????

Hi everyone,

I now own three Subarus ... a 2004 forrester 2.5L ... a 2.2L 1999 Empreza outback sport ... and a new to me 1985 Brat GL with jump seats and a 1.8 EA81 carbureter engine. The two later models are not confusing to me at all. I know whats compatible with what. The Brat has me completely baffled. What cars and models and years are compatible with the parts of the Brat?? I need help in this regard big time! Help and an explanation would be greatly appreciated.

Ken Moreau

New Orleans

cardineau

ybk123@cox.net

are you saying your having problems with your brat? what kind of parts are you after

No ... I haven't even picked up the Brat yet. I've paid for it, but its still in Pennsylvania. I am retired and work on my older vehicles (Jeep CJ-7, 1980 Fiat Spyder) and now a Brat. I'm getting myself prepared to restore this Brat and want to be as Knowledgable as possible. I think that the Brat is in good shape, but from experience with these other two vehicles, I'll want it better. So ... any help in educating me as to the kind of vehicle parts which are compatible with the Brat would be welcomed.

ken moreau

PS I also make very fine wooden rowboats.

Like he said the majority of parts on all EA81 subarus are compatible with your brat, their a dime a dozen. Be careful though and dont be stuffing turbo parts in there.

As far as I know any parts from 82-87 brats should be compatable.. as well as any parts from "EA81" subaru's. (GL's 81-85? I think) Good luck, and hope you enjoy your new brat!! (We sure enjoy ours! http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=35471 )

As far as I know any parts from 82-87 brats should be compatable.. as well as any parts from "EA81" subaru's. (GL's 81-85? I think) Good luck, and hope you enjoy your new brat!! (We sure enjoy ours! http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=35471 )

Thanks for the help ... I look forward to my fist fishing trip in the Brat ...

ken moreau

Like he said the majority of parts on all EA81 subarus are compatible with your brat, their a dime a dozen. Be careful though and dont be stuffing turbo parts in there.

I'm slowly getting to know that there were so many different configuration at different years. Its overwhelming at first ... thanks

ken moreau

Cardineau,

I just got an '86, so whatever info you can scare up, please share. I also have a Gen1 Brat that was a mechanical nightmare, I learned a lot... but this is a 'nother whole can o' worms, but it looks easier to figure out for some reason :)

Luckily, this Brat is in great shape mechanically, runs sweet, the body needs to be restored.

Pretty much sums it up there. But the '82's are somewhat of an exception here. The antenna is on the opposite side, the GL's have single headlights along with the Center Passing Lamp, turnsignals are up by the headlights instead of in the bumper, bumpers are chromed instead of covered.

Hatch doors will fit the BRATs, but you need to swap the window glass.

Other than those items, parts is parts. Turbo models have 25 count axle splines, ( or is that just for the EA-82 models). '84 and later have vented rotors on the front. Most all of the drivetrain components will fit any other model, with noted exceptions and/or over-all vehicle length for the rear driveshaft. Gas tanks are different between 2WD and 4WD models.

Love my BRATs!!!!!!

as well as any parts from "EA81" subaru's. (GL's 81-85? I think)
GL's from 1980-1984 to be precise - 1985 was OHC for everything but the brat and hatchback

EA81's are completely interchangeable 80-87 with several differences:

80-82 use smaller valves

1980 through 1984 cars with a manual transmission have solid lifters (require a valve adjustment every 15k)

1984 automatic transmission and all later EA81 cars have hydraulic lifters, which never require adjustment

there may be more .... I am not an EA81 guru, though I have worked on them a little - I am most familiar with EA82's

Other than those items, parts is parts. Turbo models have 25 count axle splines, ( or is that just for the EA-82 models).

just EA82 cars - and certain ones at that - only ones with a Manual transmission and turbo, or the four speed automatic

• 3 weeks later...

Is that true of the front body parts as well? I may be looking for replacement grill, right head light frame, fender, and hood. Can I take them off gls from '82 to '87? I just want to be sure I'm understanding correctly.

Tim