Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Towing a 79 4WD with a tow bar

I'm considering towing a 79 4WD wagon 900 miles with an adjustable tow bar. Has anyone tried this? What experience has anyone had? any suggestions regarding whether or not to disconnect the shafts all around? just the front? Thanks, Cricket

I'm considering towing a 79 4WD wagon 900 miles with an adjustable tow bar. Has anyone tried this? What experience has anyone had? any suggestions regarding whether or not to disconnect the shafts all around? just the front? Thanks, Cricket

the old ones with manual trannies like that can be flat towed without removing any shafts. just make sure you are in 2WD and Nuetral. and make sure the steering wheel isn't locked.

lots of soobies were flat towed behind motor homes in the 70's/80's.

To repeat what everyone else said.. leave it in FWD, shifter in neutral and ride. Keep up with those tires though, and make sure the steering is unlocked.

BTW, its a 5 speed? I remembered reading that the EA71s came with 4 speeds. Am I wrong?

Well, now I don't remember if it's 5 or 4 speed. I'm looking at a tow bar that supposedly attaches right to the bumper bolts and doesn't need a "bracket." Which is why I was asking about it.

To repeat what everyone else said.. leave it in FWD, shifter in neutral and ride. Keep up with those tires though, and make sure the steering is unlocked.

BTW, its a 5 speed? I remembered reading that the EA71s came with 4 speeds. Am I wrong?

I'm looking at pictures of the 78 and 79 wagons, and it looks like I'll have to remove the front bumper in order to attach the tow bar brackets to the bumper brackets underneath.

4WDs are 4 speeds in the Gen 1s. It's doesn't matter though. You can tow with all 4 down, in neutral/2wd/steering lock key in and unlocked.

As for brackets, thats custom.

Todd