Ultimate Subaru Message Board

For all you expert mechanics out there...Help!

I have an 84 wagon 4x4 (36k) automatic with some problems. First, trouble starting. Second, must let it warm up for at least 5 minutes before I put it into gear or it will die. Third, once warmed up, and I press the gas pedal, the RPMs sink to the point that if I'm not careful, the car will stall. Forth, once its been running for around 10 minutes it runs great....very smooth, however, the RPM's meter on the dash starts fluttering......it will go from 2k RPM's to 3k RPM's and then go to normal. I've listened to the flittering and pinpointed that it was the distributor making the noise.....though I not sure that the distributor is really the problem. I've been to a mechanic who tuned the carb but said I need the following: Start Relay, Check Valve, EGR Valve, Idle Solenoid Valve.

If any of you have any suggestions, please let me know. If you think I do indeed need these parts....where do I get them????

Thank you in advance.

Xavier

It sounds like vacuum problems, most likely caused by a bad air line or a bad valve. Hard to tell without actually seeing the problem :banghead:

I have an 84 wagon 4x4 (36k) automatic with some problems. First, trouble starting. Second, must let it warm up for at least 5 minutes before I put it into gear or it will die. Third, once warmed up, and I press the gas pedal, the RPMs sink to the point that if I'm not careful, the car will stall. Forth, once its been running for around 10 minutes it runs great....very smooth, however, the RPM's meter on the dash starts fluttering......it will go from 2k RPM's to 3k RPM's and then go to normal. I've listened to the flittering and pinpointed that it was the distributor making the noise.....though I not sure that the distributor is really the problem. I've been to a mechanic who tuned the carb but said I need the following: Start Relay, Check Valve, EGR Valve, Idle Solenoid Valve.

If any of you have any suggestions, please let me know. If you think I do indeed need these parts....where do I get them????

Thank you in advance.

Xavier

check your egr valve first, thats easy... when the car is idling, just stick your finger in the opening under the diaphram, and push it.. if you cant push it, then its probably already open an you got problems, of you are able to push it, and the car DOESNT stumble when you do, then somethings clogged.

-Mike (that will at least get you started, its hard to diagnose the thing without more data)

I had the same problem and I was off ONE tooth on the distibutor. Rotated back or forward (I forget, ) and the car runs as smooth as silk! It had all the same symptons, pretty sure about this.

Try that. Go to TDC and see if your rotor is at the #1 position.

Rich

I had the same problem and I was off ONE tooth on the distibutor. Rotated back or forward (I forget, ) and the car runs as smooth as silk! It had all the same symptons, pretty sure about this.

Try that. Go to TDC and see if your rotor is at the #1 position.

Rich

Thanks for the advice.....but not quite sure how to go about it (not well schooled in mechanics, but trying to learn)...could decribe what you did in laymen terms.

Cheers!

xavier

Look on the motor and look for the opening to find the flywheel with the "top dead center" (TDC) mark. Move the flywheel to that mark, usually with a socket on the front of the crankshaft nut in front. Then notice where your rotor on your distibutor ends up. It should be at the #1 position for spark plug #1. If it is right at the same place as the wire would be on the top of the cap of the distributor then you are okay and something else is wrong.

But if it is off to the left or the right, you will need to pull the distributor out very carefully, notice which way it moves, as it will as you pull it, and then very carefully move it one movement or tooth to the direction to compensate and slide it back down. It should now be at the right mark. If it is over even farther you went the wrong way, pull it out and compensate it back the other way.

Be very careful doing all this. I am no mechanic and yet I am able to do these things like this with diffculty myself at times. Get someone to help you if you still do not understand and get the right resources as well!

Best of luck!

Rich

Look on the motor and look for the opening to find the flywheel with the "top dead center" (TDC) mark. Move the flywheel to that mark, usually with a socket on the front of the crankshaft nut in front. Then notice where your rotor on your distibutor ends up. It should be at the #1 position for spark plug #1. If it is right at the same place as the wire would be on the top of the cap of the distributor then you are okay and something else is wrong.

But if it is off to the left or the right, you will need to pull the distributor out very carefully, notice which way it moves, as it will as you pull it, and then very carefully move it one movement or tooth to the direction to compensate and slide it back down. It should now be at the right mark. If it is over even farther you went the wrong way, pull it out and compensate it back the other way.

Be very careful doing all this. I am no mechanic and yet I am able to do these things like this with diffculty myself at times. Get someone to help you if you still do not understand and get the right resources as well!

Best of luck!

Rich

Thanks!

Check your ignition timing before you mess with pulling the distributor. If the timing is right, then the distributor shouldn't need to be pulled to move it one tooth. But while you are in the area of the distributor, and with the cap off, wiggle the rotor/distributor shaft from side to side and up and down to check for worn bushings. Also, don't overlook the obvious of marginal ignition parts (plugs, wires, et al).

Unless the distributor bushings are really worn, I would throw my vote in for a vacuum leak (including EGR valve stuck open). Most of the problems sounded carb/intake/vacuum related.

But while you are in the area of the distributor, and with the cap off, wiggle the rotor/distributor shaft from side to side and up and down to check for worn bushings. Also, don't overlook the obvious of marginal ignition parts (plugs, wires, et al).

stupid.gif:D