Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Whats the most i cant expect out of my RX turbo in the 1/4 with minor mods?

Im debating on if i want to mod my little RX at all. I want to see if its worth it.

The only things i would ever do to it would be:

-Air intake (cone style/ removal of box)

-Open up the exhaust a bit (custom piping)

-Air-air intercooler of some sort..top mount.

-MBC + boost gauge set to 10psi

What (estimate) woudl this run in the 1/4 mile? 15's? 14s maybe?

What do these things run stock anyway?

And what is the exact weight of them again?

Thanks!!!

Haha, wow... thats interesting. I would never actually expect it to be a drag car of any sorts, but i was just curious what kind of acceleration i could look forward to with those few mods. Ill probably leave it pretty stock then, as my other car is on the verge or breaking into the 11's.

Haha, wow... thats interesting. I would never actually expect it to be a drag car of any sorts, but i was just curious what kind of acceleration i could look forward to with those few mods. Ill probably leave it pretty stock then, as my other car is on the verge or breaking into the 11's.

Your other car probably came with more than 115 horsepower from the factory too.

Your other car probably came with more than 115 horsepower from the factory too.

Yup. It came with 200 stock, (turbo i-4)

But dont get me wrong, im not dissing the subi, i didnt buy it looking for power. Its a sweet little 4wd car, you dont need gobs of power in this thign to have a ton of fun.

That is the beauty of soobs, (not needing a whole bunch of power to be fun) but quite often we get 16 and 17 year olds, we were all there once, asking how to get their car to handle better and turn 12's for about 50 bucks, a shoe string and a half used pack of bubble gum. all i can say is that you'll need about 2 feet of bailing wire and a torqued up discriminator valve to turn that kind of power cheap.

Welcome to the board, and consider yourself lucky, the RX is a lot of guys, and gals, dream subie.

From my experience it comes down to the weakest link in the older subaru's :

The TRANNY! If its an Automatic like mine is (not for long) Heh then dont expect lower than 16's, if its a manual and you can drive then 15's is definitly possible.

When my car was stock before the rebuild I had my boost set a 10psi, no intercooler or anything, using 4WD on the launch brake torqueing my best time was 16.1 in the 1/4mile. This was also dealing with fuel cut :) So if I had a FCD I could of managed a 16.00 but I doubt 15's.

I had my exhaust opened up too when I ran it, the airbox was bottomless as well.

If you want some advice, spend your money on engine managment upgrades as this is the weakest link with the EA82-T.

Thanks all. Yeah i really dont want to get into it as much as engine management or anything. Any mods i do will be simple/ cheap breather mods.

NoahDL88 - You know to be honest, i actually do think im lucky to of found this car. I tell people that all the time. :)

I guess when i started this thread i was just wondering what kind of overall acceleration i could expect. Not nessesarily taking it to the track to do runs, but i just wanted to know how it would feel overall. I spend a lot of time at the track in my other car, so when i want to know about how fast something it i just think of it as 1/4 mile time, because i know how fast 13, 14 15 sec cars feel.

I really dont ever want to acttually take this to a drag strip though, or actually even run it hard on the streets. Dirt is one thing, but hard 4wd launches on pavement is absolutely horrid for the drivetrain, i really dont want to do that to this nice little subi.

hmmm...

i wonder how many launches Ive done.

RX's are by no means a WRX.

I've done countless hard (really its boarderline on abusive) launches (all 4 spinning or severely gripping) with street tires (205/60/13's) and race tires (real R compund tires, 215/50/13 and 225/45/13) and the thing is so far bullet proof.

I managed to get 14.9 out of my XT last year. My brother's EA82t transplanted '92 Loyale wagon went 15.3, severely slipping clutch. I know i can get a few tenths off the last years time, so it is possible to have a relatively low time with the RX.

With 10psi, Id expect it to run high 15/ low 16