Ultimate Subaru Message Board

B9 Tribeca hits the showroom floor! (photos)

Jack, you are pretty much right with the stuff in your post. The Legacy was Subaru's attempt to make a mainstream family car, something the Leone line wasn't. While I wouldn't say they failed, it wasn't as successful as they had hoped.

The one thing I will say, I do believe that 90-94 Legacies were probably the most durable of any Subaru made. I believe that any 90-94 Legacy can do 250k miles of abuse and torment, and 300k or more easily if they have been taken care of.

Also, I thought that the turbo Legacy was only offered one year (again reffering to the pre-outback legacy).

-Jack

The turbo Legacy was offered from 91-94. 91 was sedan only, then 92-94 was sedan and wagon.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are some of the sticker prices you are seeing on Tribecas?

Saw on Motor Week, PBS, that these things start at $31,000 and top $38,000 with all the bells and wistles.

The narrator also said it looked like an Edsel.

Just for the heck of it, did you all know that this thing is named after an area of NY City/lower Manhattan? ++" Its handsome, solid warehouse and loft structures, after having been abandoned a generation ago, were discovered in the 1970s, 80s, and 90s to be ideal not just for artists and small-business entrepreneurs but, most importantly, for growing families as well."++

Go figure.

Juan

Saw some Tribecas today at Skagit Subaru when I bought my new Impreza. (Celebrate! Dancing bananas for everyone!) I thought the Tribeca was a travesty, and told the salesman so. It was very weird inside, and very weird outside, and I can't see anyone using those 3rd row seats even for preschool kids. And no manual trans, I mean goodness gracious what WERE they thinking? The dealer said the Tribeca was aimed at the Lexus SUV owners. Bleh.

Kaja

I had stopped in yesterday evening to talk to some of the service people I know about some minor issues with my 05 OBW (though I was driving my 96 OBW). The sales manager who sold me my 96 subie saw me come in, and after some chit-chat, he gave me the keys to his "dealer" Tribeca he was driving as his everyday car and insisted I take it for test drive. This vehicle was black in color, leather and loaded with probably every option available. I thought I'd share my quick/initial impressions with you all. I took it out for about a 10 mile drive, on the freeway and in a residental area.

PROs:

-Very good fit and finish inside and out.

-Roomy front seats

-Well laid out cockpit instrutments and controls (I like the central LCD status display for the controls)

-Good frontal and side visability

-Generally good tracking with quick steering (Felt as though the Tribeca has a quicker steering ration setup than my 05 OBW XT, interesting)

Cons:

-The H6 feels underpowered on this vehicle

-Poor visability out the rear and rear corner panels. (Backing the vehicle up into it's original parking spot, I had a difficult time judging the distance in the back end. The rear window is way too high and too small IMO)

-Higher road noise, epecially on concrete pavement, than the 05 Outbacks, could of been the tires though, Goodyears but I don't recall the model.

-While the vehicle has quick responsive steering, I found that quick lane changes, at highway speed (60mph), made the vehicle "swagger" - no doubt due to it's top heavier body. Quick manuevering in the neigborhood was fine ((20-40mph)

-I still don't like the looks of the front-end, sorry.

I was mostly disappointed with the performance matchup of the H6 on the Tribeca. Not exactly gutless, but I was expecting better freeway on-ramp acceleration. I don't know what it is, but the hp/torque just didn't feel right. I am use to driving the 05 Turbo Outback now, a lighter vehicle with more torque, and I think the Tribeca is about 500lbs heavier than the Outback XT). But even my 96 OBW feels like it has faster acceleration (more linear too).

Anyway, generally a nice vehicle, but not my cup of tea. I see room for Subaru to make improvements on the Tribeca. The sales manager seem disappointed with some my "Cons" feedback but did agree on my perception of the handling - though he said the "swagger" was not as bad as other SUVs....

Paul

I'm certain that if you buy one of these everyone is going to ask you how you like your new KIA.

Still, maybe there are enough lesbians and nutless bicycle riders out there to actually make this offering viable.

(sorry, I just had to dig deep in my search for reason.)

Juan

What's with the nutless jab at cyclists? Cyclists/outdoorspeople won't go for this thing. It is targeting the soccer moms of the world and the people who aren't already a Subaru customer. Cyclists will still go for the wagons and the Baja. Stick a burrito up your nose, Juan. :banana:

Don't take it personal, man. Well, unless you have to. I guess.

Jab was at how lame it was to have Armstrong pushing Subarus. You do know he doesn't have his 'beans' anymore, don't you? I see that as a definate advantage in such a pounding men's sport, but not so much in the selling of Subarus.

Bye the way, don't you find my 'lesbian' comment offensive as well?

Juan

• 2 weeks later...

I guess I should read New Gen more. I almost slammed my ratty XT6 into the back of one of these Tribeccas on the Mass Turnpike today. I guess seeing what looked like a Chinese pagoda waddling down the high speed lane on wheels caused a momentary lapse in attention to closure rates. To me it looked an awful lot like the V90 in the next lane over, except for the pagoda thing.

... Just for the heck of it, did you all know that this thing is named after an area of NY City/lower Manhattan? ++" Its handsome, solid warehouse and loft structures, after having been abandoned a generation ago, were discovered in the 1970s, 80s, and 90s to be ideal not just for artists and small-business entrepreneurs but, most importantly, for growing families as well."++

Go figure.

Juan

Triangle Below Canal Street. Is the car really named after that? Where's the B9 come in?

-Heikki

Saw one "in the flesh" when I took my OBW in for its 90k service a couple of weeks ago.

For those of you who haven't seen one yet and who say "it can't possibly be as ugly in person as it looks in those pictures", I have to say: Yes, it can and it is. I didn't test drive one because I forgot to bring a ski mask and was afraid someone I knew would see me in it and I would die of embarrasment.

For those who say 'this isn't aimed at the typical Subaru customer', I have to agree, but I would remind Fuji Heavy Industries that people who are blind and/or insane are probably not a good market upon which to base an all-new vehicle. :rolleyes:

Or does Subaru think that someone's going to walk into a dealership and say "excuse me, my good man, but I currently drive a Pontiac Aztek, and I'm looking for something that seats 4 adults and 3 toddlers, and is marginally less ugly than the vehicle I currently drive. Plus I'm going to spend as much on it as a Lexus 330, Honda Pilot or Acura MDX."

How many of these Customers does Subaru think exist?

If this was GM, I wouldn't be so frustrated, since almost all of their current vehicles are hideous (best line ever: An auto reviewer who said that the current crop of GM cars all look like "Angry kitchen appliances.") But Subaru has made some gorgeous vehicles, including the current crop of Outback Legacy, Impreza and Forester. Unique styles but also pleasing to the eye (and hell, the Outback style must be catchy because first Volvo, then Audi, copied it, and now Ford is trying to do the same thing with the Freestyle.)

I thought what Honda did with the Pilot was brilliant: After the CRV made itself so well known, they basically made a "super-sized" CRV, one that is so similar in configuration that I still have a hard time telling them apart at any kind of distance. Plus, it's a functional shape. Subaru could have done the same thing by making a "super-sized" Forester. The XB9 body is goofy just for the sake of being goofy. The interior is tiny!

My summary of the XB9 is that the body looks like a minivan and the front end looks like a crime against nature. How does it drive? I'll never know because I'll never slip behind the wheel except at gunpoint.

Now, one of those 2005 Outbacks is really calling to me, :banana: and I would die of happiness if they would apply the '05 Outback styling to the Baja (but instead they're probably going dump the Baja, at least from the rumors I've heard. :banghead: )

The faster the XB9 disappears from the Subaru lineup the better.

"For those who say 'this isn't aimed at the typical Subaru customer', I have to agree, but I would remind Fuji Heavy Industries that people who are blind and/or insane are probably not a good market upon which to base an all-new vehicle."

Blind and insane drivers? How many of them are out there... and don't forget to include L.A. drivers. If they could just capture that market share alone... it would be a boost to their bottom line.

Martin, your comments are far too sensible and should be kept tucked away safely in CO. far from our seat of government.;)

Saw one "in the flesh" when I took my OBW in for its 90k service a couple of weeks ago.

For those of you who haven't seen one yet and who say "it can't possibly be as ugly in person as it looks in those pictures", I have to say: Yes, it can and it is. I didn't test drive one because I forgot to bring a ski mask and was afraid someone I knew would see me in it and I would die of embarrasment.

I stopped by the dealer while it was closed to take a closer look. Yes, the exterior didn't do it for me. However, it was the interior that really did it for me. Now if they would take the interior design and put it in the Outback instead... :-p

I stopped by the dealer while it was closed to take a closer look. Yes, the exterior didn't do it for me. However, it was the interior that really did it for me. Now if they would take the interior design and put it in the Outback instead... :-p

The funny thing (to me) is that the interior doesn't look significantly bigger than the OBW. That small back seat is not suitable for anyone over about 4'6" (if that.) I think they could have gotten their 3rd seat with something like a stretched Forester.

Guest Vickaroo

Chef Tim and I stoped at our friendly dealership the other night to look at the Tribeca.... I Like it ALOT!!!! Chef Tim poo poo's it.... I really dig the inside and the drivers seat is just too cool... I wont be giving up the RS anytime soon but If I was a first time buyer of a Subaru Id buy it..... Vicky

I had a Tribeca sighting on Saturday. My first thought was "Ha, ha, someone bought an ugly Nissa-- whoa, that's a Tribeca?" It's got a really big nose for something packing a flat six. This one was a purple/pink that, with the snout, really made it look like a pig.

My second thought was that it really doesn't look that big on the outside.

Later, I was following a ~2000 Outback, when a 2005 Outback passed us, heading the other way. It was an interesting opportunity to see the progression of Subaru's styling. Picture an EA82 wagon, then Legacy wagons from '90, '95, '00, and '05. Maybe the 2010's will have Picasso-inspired headlamps.