Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What all should i replace/reseal with the engine out?

Hello all. I will be pulling the ea82t out of my RX soon, and i would like to replace a good number of the seals and all belts. I do not wish to replace any of the pumps (oil/water) at this point due to money, so only rubber and seals.

So far this is my list:

-Oil Pump Seal

-Timming Belts

-Alt/PS/Ac belts

-Oil pan gasket

Is there anything else that i shoudl consider? I dont want it to be anything to hard or involved like the main crank seal or anything. I just want to do a simple reseal of a few things. So anything else that is easy enough to say "meh...might as well" while im down there?

Also, where can i get these parts? Is there an online store? I know for my toyota i have a dealer website that i get parts at-cost. Is there anything like that for these?

Thanks!

The front main seal is easy to do. Not as involved as you'd think. Pull it out with a pick, and drive it back with a large socket. Since you'll have the engine out, the rear wouldnt be that much harder to do either.

Valve cover gaskets are always good to replace.. cheap insurance against possible future leaks.

Where are you located? You profile is empty.. so we cant point you to parts sources in your neck of the woods.

Im planning on doing the same thing. When I pull my engine I think i'll do my belts and every gasket I can reach.

To make things easier I'm planning on buying a complete engine gasket kit from Napa. It should have everything from the intake manifold to the rear main seal. That and the Timing belts, small odds and ends shouldnt run me over $250 if I shop well.

-Brian

Hello all. I will be pulling the ea82t out of my RX soon, and i would like to replace a good number of the seals and all belts. I do not wish to replace any of the pumps (oil/water) at this point due to money, so only rubber and seals.

So far this is my list:

-Oil Pump Seal

-Timming Belts

-Alt/PS/Ac belts

-Oil pan gasket

Is there anything else that i shoudl consider? I dont want it to be anything to hard or involved like the main crank seal or anything. I just want to do a simple reseal of a few things. So anything else that is easy enough to say "meh...might as well" while im down there?

Also, where can i get these parts? Is there an online store? I know for my toyota i have a dealer website that i get parts at-cost. Is there anything like that for these?

Thanks!

I would replace the "Mickey Mouse" gasket behind the oil pump. It has to be done with the timing belts off anyway, it's silly not to do it if your in there anyway. The gasket is only about $2.00.

I'd go ahead and get atleast the water pump, its right there and you do NOT want to ever over heat these engines. and I'd try to get OE subaru belts and gaskets, they're worth the money. unless one tears his engine down like once a month.

I would replace the "Mickey Mouse" gasket behind the oil pump. It has to be done with the timing belts off anyway, it's silly not to do it if your in there anyway. The gasket is only about $2.00.

I thought that was the oil pump seal?!? Whats the name of that gasket then?

there is a gasket - the mickey mouse gasket that is between the oil pump and engine block. that should DEFINITELY be replaced. and there is also an oil pump shaft seal that costs a couple dollars, it's behind the oil pump sprocket and is a definite to replace as well. i just picked up a really nice XT6 that had a major oil leak yet the oil pump gasket was replaced. i looked at it last week and it was leaking at the oil pump shaft seal, it was not replaced. pointless to go in there and not replace a 6 dollar seal (cheaper after market). there are TWO replacement items for the oil pump. gasket between pump and block and a seal on the shaft. replace them both. http://www.thepartsbin.com is where i always get them. cheap and always the right parts (can't say that about some places with the XT6).

Alright im making the order right now, i would like to replace the alt/ac/ps belts too. But im a little confused on what to buy due to this site.

Here is the page im looking at, which shoudl i get? My car has a/c and powersteering.

Thanks!

http://oem.thepartsbin.com/parts/thepartsbin/wizard.jsp?year=1988&make=SU&model=LOY-4WDT-001&category=All&part=V-+Belt

Also, it seems there are a ton of diff water pumps to get. Looking at the one in the car right now, i dont know if i need to replace mine, it seems the one in there is pretty new, and was done by the previous owner. Its a "GMB" unit, that looks pretty clean. Since its GMB does that mean that it was definetly done, if subaru didnt use that as an oem piece? I just dont know if i shoudl get that or not...

It looks just like this:

http://oem.thepartsbin.com/parts/thepartsbin/viewImage.jsp?image=img.thepartsbin.com/live/G300038690GMB.JPG

http://oem.thepartsbin.com/parts/thepartsbin/quote.jsp?make=SU&year=1988&product=G3000-38690&application=000167862&part=Water%20Pump&category=All

Thanks for the help!