Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea82t cam shaft upgrade

ok i know its been over and over.

im going to get a set of delta cams for my 88 trubo wagon.

thing is delta has changed there web page and now i dont know which one to get i know there are two grindes

i want the mid cam are there any numbers i should know when i call them.. thanks

there old sight was lots better now im lost

the differences between the two grinds is where in the RPMs the powerband is. The 272s I believe have a powerband starting at 3000 RPM and ending about 7000? RPM whereas the 260 grind has a lower (2000, 6000?) powerband. SO unless you plan on doing high revving shifts all the time, then the 260s would be the best bet for onroad use.

N/A and turbo cams are two completely different animals, what works good on an N/A: overlap and lots of timing won't work on a turbo, cause the turbo will push all that incoming air out into the exhaust with much overlap. Delta should know what to do.

• 5 months later...

I asked about the overlap and they said that what they do is leave the exhaust duration alone and add to the intake (260 grind). So basically this will allow all the exhaust to flow through and let the turbo to blow more air into the cyl and to compensate for any pressure loss from the exhaust cycle. So i am told. I am haveing them regrind my ER27 cams with a turbo profile. Hopefully they will succed!

i have the track 272 grind set on my XT6 subyrally. when i get the exhaust welded back up that got ripped off tonight from some nice person leaving their firewood all over the highway i can give you a ride in it. but i suppose that may not tell you very much anyway since you don't know how the XT6 drives stock? i drive it on the street but it sure does idle like crazy and wants to cut out at idle and also the vacuum is affected as the braking is worse as well. so yeah, what they said, not ideal for street use.

hmmm, indeed, im thinking that i might go with a slightly smaller gring, maybe a rally/street grind.

hey gary, let me know when you get it fixed. actually, if you havent already done so, you should stop by frederick motorsports and have scott build you a larger exhaust. he does excellent work.