Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Putting a Hood scoop on RX

The hood on an RX is not the least bit heavy.. I have removed mine on my own a number of times and its not a strain at all.

Without major reconstruction, your options on hoodscoops are somewhat limited by the width of the hump in the center of the hood.

Heres mine. Its plastic and doesn't weigh a thing... not the best pic, but if you look in my gallery, you may find more to your liking.

82Picture_111-med.jpg

Sais you are from Davis. Is that Davis CA?

Nobody makes custom hoods for our RX's :( Not yet at least. And installing a scoop really depends on which scoop you use. Calebs scoop was pretty easy to install since it fits within the center hump. Others, however, arent as easy. I have a scoop from a 2002 WRX and it is about 5" too wide to fit my hood. I will either need to make the WRX scoop 5" skinnier or alter my hood in some way.

This is whats been keeping me from doing my installation.

-Brian

i saw a nice hood scoop from vis racing, taky sounding name (Zyclone hood scoop :rolleyes: but its for the current gen celica and looks pretty nice i think, check it out (http://www.showoffparts.com/abv-00tycel2dzc-015.html) boxy but clean cut. I wonder if this would fit and look nice. And yes i am in Davis, CA.

All I can say is ..... eeeewwwww.. ick. They could have at least installed it on a car instead of just dropping it randomly on some hood. Thats a lot of cash for a scoop too.. You would do well to email them for the exact dimensions and mounting type, as well is measuring its placement on your hood for functionality and channeling of air over the intercooler (I am assuming you have an intercooler?)

But it looks like it might fit, and if you like it, thats all that matters

All I can say is ..... eeeewwwww.. ick. They could have at least installed it on a car instead of just dropping it randomly on some hood. Thats a lot of cash for a scoop too.. You would do well to email them for the exact dimensions and mounting type, as well is measuring its placement on your hood for functionality and channeling of air over the intercooler (I am assuming you have an intercooler?)

But it looks like it might fit, and if you like it, thats all that matters

ew really? I think it is boxy and fits the design of the Rx, loks like a more cut wrx scoop. i would not have the hood indent but rather have it flush and have it the same colour. ill photoshop it on the RX later tonight and show people what it looks like, hopefully it turns out ok haha

ew really? I think it is boxy and fits the design of the Rx, loks like a more cut wrx scoop. i would not have the hood indent but rather have it flush and have it the same colour. ill photoshop it on the RX later tonight and show people what it looks like, hopefully it turns out ok haha

eh so i did it and it looks....eeeh. I really like the 2nd gen RX-7 turbo hoods. or a 1988 Nissan 200sx turbo hood (the car i was about to buy, not well known like these cars). Calebz, ur hood is quite clean but does it get alot of air? alitte longer going back perhapes for a larger intercooler. Howd u do it again?

The WRC IC surface area is about 16x6

The opening for my scoop is 16.5x6.5 It covers the IC pretty well, and the airflow seems decent. Even here in TX I have not had significant heatsoak issues. Sitting in traffic can take its toll since theres no air going over the IC at a stop, but I have an IC sprayer to help deal with this.

The scoop will actually allow for a slightly larger opening, but I was a bit conservative when cutting my hood. I intend to enlarge the hole a little for better flow, in addition to adding some sort of seal to better channel the air to the IC.

Mounting was easy, the scoop came with double sided 3M body tape:-p . That stuff will hold anything. Originally, the scoop had mesh over the opening, but a good hail storm took care of that. It wasn't very attractive anyway. After the mesh was removed, I had a little problem with the scoop vibrating in the wind at high speeds. 5 coats of white paint and a couple coats of clear has stiffened it up quite a lot and the vibration has gone away

Heres a little better pic of the scoop

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/data/500/82Picture_075-med.jpg

Cool, im glad to see there is another RX owner nearby. I dont see RX's at all in Sacramento except for mine. There is one other one driven by some old lady.

We oughta get together and rally our RXs. I have a couple subaru buddies in the area and we try to get together every now and then to drive.

-Brian

haha someone finished my idea of making a exteded cab brat .. almost..

mine was gonna have the cab sealed in

i hadda get rid of my ext brat project to make room for another subaru ... oh well i will retry it againlater.

the scoop don't look 2 bad either

I like the look of the OEM WRX hoodscoop better then the cheap knock offs (no offense guys). I almost have mine molded into my hood, its taken me a few hours to make sides that widen the hump in the hood. Total cost so far including scoop has been around $50. I got the sheetmetal for free and I got some Bondo and the scoop for not very much either. I'll have pics here soon once I get it done and primered but I have been taking pics of it along the way:D